Good news again

• 30 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hi all just want to pass on my good news again. 

I’ve been to see the oncologist this afternoon and Im happy to report that I  don't need chemo or external radiotherapy.  I am going to have brachytherapy once a week for 3 weeks.  I hope that works, I felt a bit nervous when she told me.  I felt a bit like “is that all”.  I’m sure they know what’s best. 

I hope everyone else is getting through their treatment with not too many problems.  Big hugs to everyone. Xx

• I had a flare last week so the idea of it being made worse really is a game changer. As usual playing the waiting game for a letter with my start date. She said within 4 weeks but at least I have the pleasure of knowing it’s only going to be for 3 weeks.  

I do feel very fortunate as it could have been a lot worse. Thank you and praise to our wonderful NHS.    I am also so glad I found this forum because it really helped me through my journey.  A very special thanks to you specifically as your diary was such a big help, I would have been terrified if I hadn’t read and re-read it before my op.  

I hope you are doing well now you have finished your treatment.  Any tips for undergoing this brachytherapy.  Did you feel tired or sick when you had it?  Xx

• Hi Maureen, happy that the diary helped! I’m doing really well thank you.

At my hospital the brachy planning CT is done in one room, and the brachy itself is done in a dedicated brachytherapy suite. My first appointment was just a chat with a brachy nurse explaining the procedure and presenting me with my “delightful” NHS dilators. A week later I had my planning CT. The procedure for the planning CT and the treatment are very similar. For the planning CT I sat on the table with a nurse on each side. The table has a small applicator support fixed in the middle of it, so, when I sat, the nurses helped me lift one leg up over it so that I was astride it. They then helped me lie back and had me gently bend my knees. The nurse gently used a lubed gloved finger inside me to check what size applicator was right for me. Then she fitted it into the applicator support and, with more lube, gently inserted it into my vagina. For me, it didn’t hurt nor was it uncomfortable - it just felt like a slightly cold tampon going in. Then they helped me lower my legs onto some rests. Then there was the slightly strange sensation of moving back and forth under the CT scanner with the applicator inside me, but it was for less than 5 minutes. The applicator was removed - just felt like a tampon coming out - and they helped me off the table.

The brachytherapy treatment itself was very much similar to the above, minus the scanner. Same careful getting onto the table astride the applicator support, lying back, knees half way up, applicator inserted, then keeping totally still while the applicator had the brachytherapy probe inserted (it’s tiny and I didn’t feel it) then legs lowered onto rests (I think it was that order). Then the nurses left the room for just over 5 mins, with music playing. Then came back, removed the applicator and helped me off the table, and I got changed and left. I honestly found it a breeze. 

As for tips: sorry if this is TMI but I used my own finger a few days beforehand to gently feel around to hopefully make it easier on the day. I also gently tried out the dilators (with lube) as preparation. I think that helped.  My oncologist and rhe brachy nurse said that patients typically didn’t report any major side effects. I didn’t feel sick, I didn’t really feel tired either (bear in mind though that I was already feeling some tiredness from the external radio). Had some minor itchiness after the CT and treatments which I think were to do with a sensitivity to the lube. And a slightly warm glow inside 2-3 days after, both times, but that only lasted a day. Slight warmth on peeing, occasional slight soreness that was relieved by bathing with cooled boiled salt water. Not really anything more than that. My bowel was slightly sensitive from the external radio, so I probably wouldn’t have noticed if it was any worse after brachy. I don’t honestly think it was. Some ladies may experience a little spotting after, but I didn’t. My other tip is that I personally think that (post end of treatment) a silicon vibrator is much more comfortable than a plastic dilator, but obviously that’s a very personal individual choice. Feel free to ask anything else! 

• Morning. Thank you so much for the very detailed information. Once again I am going into treatment with a better understanding and I’m not feeling fearful of the procedure. 

I will let you know when I get my date and report back to you.  Thanks again    Maureen x

• Hi Poppy 123

I like you am Grade 3 but slightly lower stage 1a and was offered Chemo  Paclitaxel/Carboplatin six cycles as an option but  Brachytherapy as recommendations. I chose to have the chemo but you may have read my other posts where I mentioned I've had allergic reactions to Paclitaxel three times, it is tough on the body and maybe the Oncologist thinks you won't benefit especially if they think they got the Cancer all out and completely removed. They told me potentially I could be doing my body a lot of harm overtreating it with no significant benefit. I've decided to ditch the Paclitaxel and continue with Carboplatin which is not so toxic and fingers crossed and hope for the best. Your oncologist would discuss with you any treatment options if they think you could benefit.

Hope this helps in some ways. Take care xxx

Madesp 
  • Hi there Gardening guru, so sorry to hear about your mom.   I was diagnosed with 1b grade 3 endometrial cancer last month, after my op.  

I saw my oncologist yesterday and after a long discussion she felt that brachytherapy is the way forward for me.  She said that the most likely place of the cancer recurring would be on the vaginal cuff so brachytherapy would target that area better than external radiotherapy. Radiotherapy would also have an adverse affect on my Crohn’s disease. 

I am happy to listen to the experts and am reassured that they are doing what’s best for me. Not everyone would agree and would feel the need to challenge them.  I did feel a little bit like “is that all I need” but after the pros and cons were explained to me I am more than happy to go with the decision. 

I hope you and especially your mom can find a solution that you are happy with.  I am sending a big hug for you both and wish you a good outcome.   Maureen xx

• Hi Madesp. Thanks for your response. I hope your treatment is going well again now you’ve ditched Paclitaxel. I suppose we are all on a journey that we don’t want to be on and we have to have faith that the experts know what is best for us.  I have Crohn’s disease and external radiotherapy would have been detrimental to that. 

I don’t know when I am starting the brachytherapy but I will have to see how that goes.  If I am offered any other treatment if this does not work then I will go for it. 

keep well.  The end is in sight. Xx Maureen 

• Maureen just to say as well that my brachy planning CT was done with an empty bladder (and so both my treatments were too). I’ve heard of one lady on here having hers with a full bladder but others having their empty like mine. I also didn’t have to have an enema beforehand, whereas I know of another person who did. So that may be worth you asking when you have your information chat session.

• Thank you for the advise.  Because of the Crohn’s I’ll have to be careful not to be in a flare up so will be really carefully monitoring my diet beforehand    I think I’ll go for the empty bladder too. Xx

• It’s worth asking about it as different hospitals have different policies, but most people here I think have been required to have empty bladders for brachy.

• Had my oncologist appointment today I’ve to have 6 cycles off chemotherapy and 3 brachytherapy. The reason for the chemotherapy is because they found cancer in the vascular blood vessels and there is no way of finding out if it has spread. 
    I’ve not got a date for when my treatment starts but I don’t think it will be long as they’ve done the ECG and also gave me the steroids that I’ve to take. He also said I will lose my hair but has arranged for someone to phone me about getting a wig. Hopefully it will be all over by Christmas and I’ll be back to my old self. Wishing you all the very best with your treatment.xxx