Hysteroscopy and biopsy uterine cancer suspicions

• 7 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Having this procedure done next week in outpatient 

had this done 6 years ago and they couldn’t complete as so painful so went under general aneasetic eventually

they have said I can have a local anaesthetic so it should be easier but am still concerned it won’t work 

surely if they looked at my records they could see this and just send me straight for a GA 

I feel this could be a wasted appointment 

• Hi  

Welcome to our group. Sorry to hear about your understandable worry about your forthcoming hysteroscopy. If I were in your situation I would contact your Consultant's secretary and let them know what happened last time and how you feel that this might be a wasted appt. The secretary can relay all this to the Consultant. 

You need to be as confident as possible and I'm sure your team would appreciate the discussion now rather than at the appt.

Wishing you all the best.

Kxx

• I have spoken to the hospital and they said it’s probably best to keep this app and see how it goes

otherwise I would have to still see a consultant and the appointment would be later then next week as they are so busy at least if I cannot have the procedure they can then say straight away to be booked In for  a GA 

so I am just hoping maybe with a bit of local anaesthetic it will be ok 

thank you for taking the time to reply 

Karen

• Hoping that it all goes well for you Pray 

Kxx

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read that you are having investigations for suspected cancer. It's easy for me to say but try not to worry or compare to last time. Six years is a long time ago in terms of bodily changes. Go in with an open mind and concentrate on your breathing whilst having the procedure. A previous colleague of mine had to have the same examination and sang through hers! I'm sure the staff will try to put you at your ease and make it as pain free as possible. I hope it goes well and best wishes for your results.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm

• Hi karenelizabeth

I can understand your worries about it being painful. I think the thing to think about is that there may be changes in the last 6 years- both with how they proceed with it and also possibly changes inside- now you are a bit older and because it has been done once. I was advised to take pain relief an hour before and that helped. I think deep breathing and plenty a talking about what was happening during the procedure helped.  For me the bit that hurt was when they go through the cervix but I counted to 5, took a deep breath and it was done. The rest of it was a bit like period cramps. 

Explain to the person doing it- how you are feeling and remember at any time you can ask them to stop. 

Good luck

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• It may be worth asking for entenox if it's available, I've had a few hysteroscopies over the last three years in outpatient and found it really helped...not all places offer it but it's definitely worth asking, I had to ask for it but once I did was no problem