Endometrial cancer diagnosis one month ago

• 12 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hello everyone, I’m new to this group.  I had a total hysterectomy one month ago after an endometrial cancer diagnosis.  I will be starting some pelvic radiotherapy treatment in about a months time and am feeling a little anxious about the side effects!  Has anyone else had radiotherapy?  

• Hi  and welcome to our spot in the Online Community. We've got a lovely group of supportive ladies who are here to let you know you're not alone on this scary journey.

It's great to read your op went well and you're making a good recovery. After my hysterectomy My cancer was regraded from Stage 1a,grade 1 to stage 1b,grade 3 as it had penetrated more than 50% into the muscle. Lymph nodes = 0, no LVSI.

I was offered optional "belt and braces" Brachytherapy to prevent recurrence. 3 sessions, 6 weeks after the op. They took place on Thursday, Tuesday and Thursday so all done in 8 days. Painless but not very dignified. I've recently had my 3rd three-monthly check-up and all clear.

Other ladies here have had external beam radiotherapy so I'll hope they'll be along soon to tell their experiences.

Any other questions, come back here and fire away, no matter how silly they might seem - we've all asked them!

Sending welcoming hugs, Barb xx Hugging

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hello Barb, Thankyou for your warm welcome!

yes mine was regraded from 1 to 2 (just) as it had gone into the muscle wall by just over 50percent too.  Stage 1b.  I have been recommended external radiotherapy five times a week for four and a half weeks.  The possible side effects mentioned were slightly alarming!

• I was told with Brachytherapy I might experience Urinary and Bowel problems. Nothing with Urinary but I do have a bout of diarrhoea on occasion. I keep in a stock of Immodium, available otc from chemists. I also am "windier" than I used to be!!

What side effects have been mentioned - then the ladies here may be able to offer an insight!

Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Flowerhead,

Six years ago I had 5 weeks of external RT followed by 2 brachytherapy sessions.  I was staged at 1a, Grade 2 but there was LVSI so I was advised to have the RT to zap the lymph nodes and reduce the chance of recurrence,  Like you I found the list of possible side effects quite daunting but I was assured by  my Oncologist that every case was considered individually.  The treatment was only suggested when the benefits were likely to outweigh any disadvantages and with modern RT techniques, side effects are greatly reduced.  The most common problem is some degree of diarrhoea during treatment.  Your radiology team will be there to help  and advise - I was told to restrict my diet by reducing my intake of fibre.  It did take a few months for my bowels to get back to normal afterwards  .  You will also be asked to keep well hydrated over the period - this apparently protects both the bladder and bowel.   The other common issue is tiredness but in my case I felt it was more due to all the daily travelling than the treatment and it is just a matter of pacing yourself.

So - six years later I am fine and was signed off last November.  My bladder is a bit dodgy but I think my age is more to blame for that! 

XXXX

Anne

(Class of 2015!)

• Thankyou, Anne, that is reassuring!  Yes they will be targeting the lymph nodes and the top of the vagina where the cervix used to be.  I have been told there may be shortening of the vagina too.  Thankyou everyone, it’s good to be able to voice my concerns with others who have gone through the same things.  X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm having radiotherapy at the moment,  I'm 2 weeks into 5 weeks treatment plan,  side effects so far, tired and loose bowels xx I too had endometrial carcinoma grade 3 and full hysterectomy.  I've had chemotherapy aswell xx

• Hi , just noticed your post, welcome to the group. Hope the treatment plan not too bad. If you haven't already got some get some Immodium for the loose bowels, works well.

Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

• Hi Meize, nearly half way through!  Hope you aren’t feeling too bad. X

• Hi Flowerhead I dip in and out of the Forum but just wanted to let you know like Oldady I was a similar diagnosis to her with LVSI present last November.  I was advised to have 2 treatments of Brachytherapy followed by 25 treatments of external radiotherapy.  However after 1 treatment of Brachytherapy on New Year's Eve I contracted COVID.  My treatment re-commenced Feb.  Like you was concerned about side effects.  I found I needed the loo more frequently, and yes tired at the end of it, however I can honestly say I was pleased I made the decision to go ahead as I think I may have had regrets if I didn't.

• Thankyou Chrissy72.  I’m so sorry to hear you had COVID, I hope you are recovered from it now.