Chemotherapy Support Thread

• 185 replies
  • 77 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Based on feedback from members, we are setting up a dedicated discussion thread to discuss chemotherapy. Please feel welcome to use this discussion thread to talk about making a decision about chemotherapy, your appointments, side effects, ask questions and discuss any other parts of your experience with chemotherapy. 

If you'd like to discuss radiotherapy, there is also a radiotherapy support thread.

Best wishes,

Macmillan Community team

• Hi Barb,

My hair started growing back at a good rate about 4 weeks after completing cycle 6, on the 4th January. I’m happy report that I’ve now got a good covering but not enough to feel confident about going out without my wig or a hat. The only downside is that I now look a bit like Daffy Duck!!! Considering I shaved my head halfway through chemo due to the cold cap not working, I thought I’d start with an even playing field. Apparently not!! I’ve got a lot of tufts going on…..! A lady on the ovarian forum was telling me that it took her about 18 months to grow back her bob.

Numerous people have told me that I need to have my hair shaved off again. I’ve to to admit the re-growth is a bit like duck down (possibly why I think I look like Daffy lol). I know chemo has stripped the colour pigment but I’m hoping that the new re-growth will be a better colour too. I’m booked in at the wig salon to have my hair shaved off again on the 30th April.

But there is one positive for being bald at the moment.  I’ve recently had more surgery for recurrence and was in hospital for 10 days. It was a blessing not having any hair to fret about! I didn’t look in a mirror for about 6 days, so I stopped obsessing about my hair growth. And the first thing that hubby said to me when I came out? “Gosh, your hair has grown!!!!”. I would have laughed if it hadn’t hurt so much!

Liz xx

• Laughed about the Daffy Duck! I'll just have to accept I'll only have a little before it all goes again!

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Evening Ladies,

Hope your all well, today I had my 6th and I’m hoping my last lot of chemo.  Should have a ct scan in the next week or so to see how it’s gone and what the next step is.  Not going to lie my emotions are all over the place, didn’t think I would feel as emotional as I did but a bit scared and anxious about what lies ahead.  Here we all are after I rang the bell, Haydan helped me ring it. X 

• Hi Liz 

I've just read your profile bio and gosh you have had it rough and tough last few years but so glad you are here to tell the tale. I'm using the Cold cap therapy to minimise losing too much hair. I understand it's normal to lose hair even if you do use the cold Cap but you shouldn't go bald like if you don't use it. I'm interested in how your hair went and what made you ditch the Cap. Was your hair already thinning and or did you go patchy. Or did you lose the whole lot, also how many cycleshad you had before ditching the cap. Sorry to bombard you but it's because I've lost a fair bit of hair after cycle 2, and wonder if I'm going to lose a lot More after cycle 3, in which case I will wear!y wig. Thanks for reading. Take care, Maddy x

Madesp 
  • Hi . Great photo! Who made the most noise - you or Haydan!

Well done you - now no fretting about your CT scan!

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Maddy,

My first attempt at chemo was a bit eventful! After 30 mins of the paclitaxel infusion, I started going into full blown anaphylactic shock. Unfortunately the cold cap had masked the fact that my body was overheating. Through all the commotion, I still managed to keep the cold cap on whilst the nurses were busy injecting me with adrenaline and anti histamines to reverse the reaction. Honestly, you should have seen the state of me - a big swollen face with an unattractive cold cap planted on top of my head! It certainly wasn’t my best look lol.

My new chemo regime 2 weeks later was Abraxane and Carboplatin (Abraxane is like pacltaxel but coated in lipids and proteins so the body doesn’t reject it). Thankfully the next 6 cycles were uneventful.

As for the hair loss, I lost an awful lot week 3, after cycle 2. I’ll always remember the day. I was ‘stroking’ some shampoo through my hair whilst in the shower and it was like a toupee had come off in my hands. Quickly looked in the mirror and could see that I was now modelling the ‘Friar Tuck’ look…..again, not one of my best looks! It was then that I decided to have it all shaved off, so that it could grow back together at the same rate. I was lucky to have thick hair to start with, although it had thinned a bit after spending 3 years on hormone therapy.

I decided to ditch the cold cap for cycle 3 as there seemed little point. I’d read some horror stories about the cold cap actually burning the scalp when there is no hair to protect it. I decided enough was enough, and to be honest, it was a relief.

I forgot to mention before about my eyelashes and brows. I got to week 3, after cycle 5, before they started to disappear. Thank goodness for micro blading is all I can say! It’s strange really, I didn’t look like I was going through chemo until cycle 6 as the lack of eyelashes did alter my appearance a little bit.  After 3 months, I’m really happy to say that my lashes and brows have grown back even better. With my wig on, I don’t look any different now.

I wish you all the luck in the world with keeping your hair. Hope cycle 3 doesn’t bring too many side effects.

Take care,

Liz x

• Hi Rach,

What a wonderful photo of you all. And a big well done on getting through all 6 cycles, you should be really proud of yourself.

I know it’s easier said than done but try not to stress about your upcoming scan. I’ve been incurable for nearly 5 yrs, although I’m now in remission - long story! What helped me over the years is that I allow myself 10 mins a day to think about my health issues. I then file away any worries in a box, close the lid, and then focus on living for that day. Instead of worrying, go and spend some time with your lovely family.

Liz x

• Thank you for your lovely reply.  I have two enlarged lymph nodes in my pelvis which they couldn’t remove during my surgery which I think they are worried about and after my 3rd cycle I had a scan had there was some shrinkage which is good but my head always goes to the worse case scenario and I’m terrified this time they will tell me it’s spread.  A nodule on my lung and one in my neck were mentioned on a letter last year and I was told stage 4 but since surgery I have gone down to stage 3 and the neck and lung have not been mentioned since.  Glad to hear you are in remission and I hope you are doing well. X

• Hi Liz

Was interesting to read about your reaction to the Paclitaxel. I have had reaction three times now. Despite this week I took extra meds beforehand and they gave me saline alongside the Chemo to dilute it down but I still went into shock. So was interesting to read you have had the ABRAXANE instead and I will mention this to my consultant. 

I'm so sorry to read you have had recurrence and I know whatever they throw at it sometime it will come back and we just need to deal with it, I'm grade 3 Serous so  I know the score, even with the chemo I'm having now to mop up any stray cells that maybe lurking I've been told it can still come back! so I'm going to wish you well on your journey and hopefully you can keep ahead of things to give yourself the best possible chance. 

Kind regards Maddy xx

Madesp 
  • Hi Liz I was just reading the chemo thread to get a good handle on what to expect for my upcoming chemo and noticed your due to go to the wig saloon today. Hope this is the last time you will need to have this done and it's yet another step to getting luscious locks back again.

Thinking of you 

Robin xxx