Radiotherapy Support Thread (inc. Brachytherapy)

• 558 replies
  • 91 subscribers

This is a dedicated thread specifically for those who have had, are having, will be having or are considering the option of external radiotherapy or internal radiotherapy (brachytherapy). The idea for the thread has been approved by the Macmillan Community Team and the aim is for it to be a safe space where members can ask questions and share concerns and experiences. 

I would respectfully ask that the chat is kept on topic to things specific to radiotherapy.

My own situation is that, pre-hysterectomy I was a probable grade 1 stage 1a, and was not likely to need adjuvant therapy. But my post op histology disappointingly revealed a few unexpected cells on my cervix, so I was restaged to a 2, meaning I was offered external radiotherapy x 25, and internal radiotherapy (brachytherapy) x 2. I’ve had my planning CT and am due to start radio on 11/4. I wanted to start this thread so that others facing radio can ask questions and seek support more easily than in an ordinary thread. 

So please do feel free to post and tell us about your situation, ask questions, seek support and share tips/advice etc! I will also probably use this thread to post diary updates once my treatment has started. 

• Just doing a test post as someone tried posting here today and it disappeared - wondering if it was a glitch.

• Hi all

Regarding Brachytherapy I am due 3 treatments of this at probably around July (when I have completed chemotherapy)

Was wondering if I will be able to carry on working. I know it is planned as one session per week but just wondered if the effects maybe leave you tired, too tired to be able to sit in one place too long  as my work is office admin.

Mad 
  • Hi Mad.  I am interested in this too, as I am likely to have brachytherapy in late April/ early May - no dates yet.  I have been told it is 3 sessions a couple of days apart, so 3 in a week.  Strange how things seem to vary

• Hi  and  mine is due mid May, but  is due hers end April and I’m sure she will be happy to share then. But hopefully someone else who has already had brachy will post and let you know about their experience. My impressions from what I’ve been told is that usual possible side effects are more localised than general, but that side effects are generally less likely overall with brachy.

• please could you possibly share your experience of brachytherapy?

• I remember you had brachytherapy some time ago - could you maybe tell us about how it was for you please?

• Hi all, I had one session of brachytherapy per week for 3 weeks, about 10 weeks after my hysterectomy in 2020.  I did feel a bit tired in the evening of the treatment  but nothing drastic, and I  was back to normal the next morning. I was Grade 1 Stage 1B and my surgeon advised brachytherapy as a “belt and braces “ treatment to help prevent recurrence.

All hospitals have their own methods, but my first session lasted quite a long time as they gave me a CT scan, up until then I hadn’t had any scans. So I turned up with shaking knees and rather scared - I’m not saying I was in a state but trying to get into the department I pressed the fire alarm button instead of the big button marked “door”!!      

So, I was settled onto a bed, then my consultant and the radiographer fitted me with the tube that the source travels down.  it was a bit like having a smear test, a bit uncomfortable until it’s in place.  It’s clamped in place, but I couldn’t see what was happening being flat on my back, I think it is attached to the side of the bed. ( Because I was having the ct scan they also inserted a catheter, but  most people don’t seem to have this.)

After the CT scan they wheeled me into the treatment room. It was full of machinery but they showed me the machine that would be used for me, it looked like a filing cabinet!  My consultant had already told me the radioactive source is about the size of a grain of rice, which I found very reassuring. The staff all leave the room, like when you have an x-Ray, but they can see you on camera at all times. The machine makes a whirring noise and you do not feel anything. My session lasted for about 5 minutes, there was music playing on the cd and by the end I almost dozed off! Then they all come in, remove all the tubes, you get dressed and go home.

My second and third sessions were much shorter, lasting about 30 minutes in total.  I’ll admit you can feel quite vulnerable, but the staff all do their utmost to make you feel comfortable. It’s not the most dignified thing, but it doesn’t hurt.

I didn’t suffer any side effects from the treatment. We all suffer with the fear of the unknown, so I hope this info helps take away some of the anxiety.

Viv xx

• Hi Viv.  
    Thanks for this - particularly good to hear that you didn’t suffer side effects.  I think I can cope with the indignity of it, after all they are doing this procedure all the time, so normal for them.   It is the side effects that worry me most - I have been lucky to recover really well from my hysterectomy and, hopefully the chemotherapy will work it’s way out of my system quite soon (I had my last, 4th chemo last Friday, so I am still feeling very dizzy and wobbly)

I know the information leaflets we are given have to mention everything, but the effects on the bladder and bowel worry me x

• Hi Mad - how’s your chemo going?  I hope you are feeling ok.  My oncologist advised me not to return to work until after my brachytherapy due to the side effects (bladder weakness, diarrhoea and tiredness).  I guess it depends on the individual and also your job.  I work with babies and toddlers and was told it was a no as I’ll probably be running to the loo frequently!  Mine will be 3 sessions (a few days apart) and I’m hoping to go back straight after, but he said side effects could last for a few weeks after too.  Everyone’s body reacts differently so although I’m desperate to go back to work and get back into a routine again, I’m going to play it by ear and see how I feel during and after treatment.

• Hello . I've just read Viv's post  and it mirrored my experience with the exception I didn't have a CT scan at the time.

I had no side effects from the treatments and felt fine. It was painless, just undignified.

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett