Chemotherapy Support Thread

• 185 replies
  • 77 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Based on feedback from members, we are setting up a dedicated discussion thread to discuss chemotherapy. Please feel welcome to use this discussion thread to talk about making a decision about chemotherapy, your appointments, side effects, ask questions and discuss any other parts of your experience with chemotherapy. 

If you'd like to discuss radiotherapy, there is also a radiotherapy support thread.

Best wishes,

Macmillan Community team

• Hi ladies

Just thought I'd mention a not so pleasant side effect of the chemo. I seem to have developed bladder incontinence.

Back in the day panty liners coped well with the odd cough or sneeze but lately I've had episodes of just getting up out of a seat and can't control what comes out so have invested in loads of Tena lady/always discreet incontinence pads. They do work I'm glad to say. I just hope this is one side effect that goes away soon.

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi Barb not sure if you are aware but the NHS do provide an incontinence service and provide free pads in case this condition is long term, you need to be referred by a doctor or spk to oncologist. They cost a fortune so why should you pay? 

After the incontinence nurse does an assessment, they check your needs for day and night use and you receive a supply delivered to your door once every month or three months.

Hope this helps. XXX

Madesp 
  • Hi Mad, No I didn't know that so really good to know. I'll give my GP surgery a call today or speak to my Oncologist.

Thanks so much for the info, It's the  most embarrassing thing I've ever gone through!

Big hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi . Forgot to get back to you. Sorry! I spoke to my GP's surgery. They said to speak to my Oncology team so I phoned my lovely CNS. She said the first thing was to rule out a UTI, otherwise I might have a prolapse which would require an internal exam and possible pessary insertion. Back to GP's who required a urine sample so filled my little pot, drove 13 miles to GP's surgery. Later that afternoon received a call which confirmed I had a UTI and my GP had arranged an emergency prescription to be filled.

I'm so impressed with my NHS team but it seems no need for more incontinence pads. Have been warned my urine might be a strange colour!

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

• How are you doing the ladies on Chemotherapy treatments?

We need to keep the thread updated to provide support to new members who need support.

I'm feeling great now cycle 6 is over. Waiting for PN to go away and hair to come back!

Weekend hugs to all, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

• Hi ladies. I had a different chemo, mine was weekly for 6 weeks (cisplatin) I coped pretty well with side effects. It seemed once the steroids I was sent home with, ran out that the sickness set in, my consultant gave me a few extra days worth and that done the trick! I also found chemo days quite relaxing but long. With all the flushes and infusions we were all probably in hospital for approx 8 hours. I'm 2 weeks post treatment and although the fatigue is draining I'm realy starting to feel almost Human again. Hope my experience helps others .

Angela xx

• I’m doing well, had my 5th cycle on Monday only problems I have had is the pains in my legs but they haven’t been too bad and this time round I have been tired.  My last one is hopefully on 25th April then not sure what the plan is as not heard from my oncologist so a little nervous what the next step will be. X

• Morning all

Can any ladies who have previously had chemotherapy tell me when the hair starts to grow back? I've been told you need to shave it when its 1/4 inch long as it'll be brittle with the chemo in the roots - is that correct?

TIA, (getting fed up with being bald)Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

• Hi Barb.  I was just thinking the exact same thing!   I am studying my scalp every morning for any signs!  I finished my last chemo 4 weeks and 5 days ago.

Feeling so much better in myself now - still have numb toes, tired at times and a bit of breathlessness - but I have started going out again - which is wonderful.  My family were all here for Easter, (which is probably the reason I am tired lol) and I went out a couple of times to celebrate my birthday 10 days ago - it felt a big step back to normality.

i did one of those zoom sessions about scalp care and hair regrowth, organised by ‘Look good feel better’ - a charity and I recommend their sessions.  They say that we should see signs of regrowth within three months of our last treatment and that it will probably be soft to start with.  Obviously everyone is different, but I am hoping to see something happening in the next couple of weeks?  A friend who had chemo for breast cancer some years ago thought hers started to regrow about 7-8 weeks later.

Fingers crossed we both see something soon - fed up with my reflection too x

• This is the link to a useful site - another charity that links to the workshops

www.cancerhaircare.co.uk/

www.cancerhaircare.co.uk/.../