Chemotherapy Support Thread

• 185 replies
  • 77 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Based on feedback from members, we are setting up a dedicated discussion thread to discuss chemotherapy. Please feel welcome to use this discussion thread to talk about making a decision about chemotherapy, your appointments, side effects, ask questions and discuss any other parts of your experience with chemotherapy. 

If you'd like to discuss radiotherapy, there is also a radiotherapy support thread.

Best wishes,

Macmillan Community team

• This is a great idea, I have my 5th round on 28th March.  If anyone has any questions I’m happy to answer if I can. X

• Hi All.. A very useful idea, a place where the members who've had chemotherapy or are due to have the treatment can talk about their issues, side effects and generally give out useful information.

For my own story my Oncologist recommended 6 cycles of chemotherapy Paclitaxel and Carboplatin. (Paclitaxel stops the cancer cells from separating into 2 new cells stopping the growth of the cancer. Carboplatin interferes with the development of the genetic material in a cell, the DNA. This stops it from dividing into 2 new cells and kills it)

I'll arrive at the chemo suite at about 10.15. Ill be weighed, my blood pressure & temperature taken. Then I'll be asked multiple questions: Have I had diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, constipation, loss of appetite, sore mouth, numbness or tingling in hands and feet, shortness of breath, pain, skin rash, mood, energy levels and bruising.

I'll already have had a blood test three days earlier. A canula will be inserted and I'll be given anti nausea tablets and the pre-meds will start - antihistamine and steroids. This goes through quite quickly and after you have to wait half an hour for the drugs to kick in. Then they'll flush through the canula and start the infusion of Paclitaxel. This takes about 3 hours to go through. Once finished the canula will be flushed through and the Carboplatin will start, takes about an hour

. A final flush and you can go home! Normally for me about 5.15pm. During the day volunteers offer tea, coffee and other drinks and biscuits. At lunchtime you'll be offered a sandwich and yoghurt and banana. The nurses are lovely and caring and always around to answer questions or just chat. You can go to the loo and walk around as your equipment can be disconnected.

It sounds hard but is actually not bad at all. I've not had any reaction to the drugs so I've been lucky. A few ladies have reacted and the infusion is normally stopped, more antihistamine given and resumed after a short while.

I have suffered some side effects, all can be coped with. The hardest was loss of hair - 14 days after my first cycle my hair started coming out. I'd already had it cut short so had it shaved off completely. Being bald in winter is cold!! Got a lovely wig using the NHS voucher and rebate of VAT - went blond for first time in 40 years!

I had bad nausea and vomiting about a week after the cycle. I was given anti-nausea tablets when I left the treatment room and was advised by my Oncologist to take them from day 5, whether or not I had nausea, and that worked. I still feel poorly about day 8 and spend the day in bed.

I also suffer peripheral neuropathy (tingling and numbness) in my hands and feet. I've been given medication to help which it does. That should stop after chemo has finished.

I've had to have a blood transfusion as I'm suffering with anaemia which was also easy to do.

I'm just about to have my last cycle tomorrow and I can honestly say it's do-able. I was terrified the day I first walked into the chemo suite but tomorrow I'll see my friends (because that's what they've become) for the last time for the foreseeable.

If you've any questions come on here and ask. There's a few ladies undergoing chemo at the moment and we're all happy to help and share experiences.

Big hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi all 

I've had one round of Paclitaxel and Carboplatin and effects started the following day with nausea, achey legs but the worst I have been is with tummy cramps, to the extent where I spent almost a whole day in the bathroom, with each cramp I passed a small motion.

Unfortunately due to another condition I am advised not to take Buscopan or anti-spasmodic meds. The doctor told me she will lower the dose of Paclitaxel if this happens again. It does seem a bit better but still have slight cramp when I go for a number 2(which is regularly once a day).

Any ideas ladies, anyone else affected and how do you cope or what else eases it, it does seem to come on suddenly with urgency to use bathroom.

X

Mad 
  •  

Hi Mad, sorry I wasn't here yesterday - last chemo day YAY!

I had exactly the same problem, mine was round about day 6 and sat of the loo most of the day having tummy cramps then small motions. Only problem I was also vomiting into a bucket every time I cramped and had a motion. Not pleasant. It only lasted the one day but I kept close to the loo and carried my bucket everywhere for a few days.

Big hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi All

Yesterday had my last cycle Yay! Arrived early and they got stuck in immediately. I'd taken them in some choccies which disappeared into a cupboard with stacks of others! They're all very slim so obviously desist!

All went well I'm glad to say. I felt so  much better after my transfusion the other day and if this peripheral neuropathy goes I'll be well happy. They reduced my dose of Paclitaxel by 20% to help. 

It was quite moving as it was one ladies last treatment and all the staff gathered around, one read a short speech and the lady rang the bell to applause all round and photos were taken. I was asked if I wanted to do the same but declined - I'd end up getting upset as I know I'll be back in a few months and I know their lovely little speech would crack my hardened exterior.

I left an hour earlier than usual as they weren't busy, missed seeing my favourite nurse as she swapped shifts for her UNI course. They all work so hard, studying when off and most of them were going for a Mexican that night and discussing a forthcoming ball. 

I take my hat, or wig, off to them, they really are angels!

After my side effects finish I'm going to venture out a bit more, still masked up, and meet with friends, family and live a bit more Whoopee!

Hugs to all, Barb xxx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

• Well done Barb

I know it's not been  an easy ride but you did it !

So you also had cramps, was just the first round or is it every treatment that you get this for a day or so? X

Mad 
  • Just the first round when it was that bad. I did have a few episodes of diarrhoea on next cycle but had Immodium to hand if needed. My Oncologist said to take the anti-nausea pills a couple of days before what I pegged was my bad day (day 8) whether or not I felt nauseous and that definitely helped.

Hope you feel better today.

In following cycles if I didn't have a bowel movement for 2 days I took laxidol which I got on prescription.

Hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

• Well done Barb.  I have my 5th one on Monday then last one after Easter. X

• Well done Barb - quite a milestone to get your last cycle Champagne

I am also looking forward to venturing out, it will seem very weird.  Staying away from friends, family, shops etc has been one of the hardest parts of chemo.  My oncologist suggested that 4 weeks after the last dose, my immunity should be recovered enough and I should also get my Covid booster around then.  
    Completely agree that the nurses are angels x

• I'd got my Covid booster booked for yesterday, spoke to the chemo nurses and they called my Oncologist. He wanted me to delay for 3 weeks. Apparently the booster could cause a reaction to the chemo and/or the chemo could reduce the efficacy of the the covid booster so all wait for another 3 weeks.

My bestie has been really careful not to get covid, went to a 60th birthday party and caught it - she's so fed up, bad headache and rotten cough - I feel for her. Maybe the last 2 years of being a virtual hermit has been good for me!

Big hugs, Barb xx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum