Life Turned Upside Down

• 12 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi All,

Wanted to intro and send my best wishes to you - hope you’re all doing well. This forum has been fantastic for me over the last few days. I went to the doctor over some changes to my right ball back in June (it was undescended at birth and moved down a few years later which I knew made it susceptible to TC so I’ve always been careful checking etc ), and the doc agreed it had swollen although no lumps were found. Ultrasound 5 days ago and everything’s moved at 100mph since…. Told it needs to be removed 2 days ago and date set for the 12th which is great and blood markers are all normal so I’m telling myself that’s good. Got the CT scan on the 7th and that’s freaking me out as will show if there is a wider problem, but I’m most worried about Covid….. I had it 4 weeks ago and was told yesterday that I will probably still test positive in which case I can’t have the op!! Everyone I’ve spoken to has said this is really urgent yet I could end up being delayed for apparently no reason and tbh I’m scared witless. Anyone else encountered this?

Cheers!

• Sorry to hear what you are going through Wildheart. I can’t help with your covid question unfortunately but feel free to ask anything else. I’ve gone through the op/ chemo this year so understand how you are feeling. FYI, 

Good luck! 

• Thanks Goldenball. Everything is a question at the moment it seems! I appreciate you reaching out - how are you doing now? Do you have any tips to aid recovery?

I can’t wait to get this done now I know I have to. Roll on next week! 

Cheers

• I am doing fine thanks. Honestly I was pretty much back to normal after a few months. I've had a few lingering effects like fatigue, tinnitus and headaches but these are slowly going.

I'd never had an operation in my life before my nut job so the whole experience was new to me. When you have the operation the doctors\nurses will provide you lots of information to aid recovery. I had to wear a jockstrap for 2 weeks which was nice.......I took painkillers and just rested for a couple of days before really starting to move about. Catchup on boxsets etc. I managed to get up and stairs ok (but slowly) and you have to be careful not to get the wound wet when washing. I didn't go for a run for about 6 weeks if I remember correctly. For the operation itself I arrived in hospital about 1030am, had the operation at 12 and left at 4. I had a general as well so was knocked out for the procedure. When I woke I was in quite a bit of pain (not excruciating) so they pump you full of morphine until it subsides. 

I felt the same as you when I found out I was having the operation - "just get this f@cker out of me!!". Try not to fret, it'll soon be done and your recovery \ treatment (if any) will follow suit. If you noticed the change in your ball in June your still in early days territory so I wouldn't be concerned over any small delay in your operation. 

All the best 

• Thanks so much - that’s really reassuring! I’ve had ops before and had almost a reverse of this procedure when I was about 9 to move this pesky ball down into the sack - it’s caused my issues all my life so I’m going to be glad to see the back of it honestly lol

I can remember how it felt after so am quite prepared for this, providing it’s been caught early enough. If there is any spread and I need prolonged ongoing treatment then I’m in uncharted territory and that’s what I’m most nervous about I guess, hence not wanting any delay. 

Did the hospital provide the jockstrap or kind of support clothing, as if not I’ll get some ready for the recovery?

Thanks again!

• So sorry to hear you’re going through this! 

My husband also noticed a change in his testicle in June and is due for surgery 11th Aug! He had his CT scan results just this week - all clear/no abnormalities - so fingers crossed with your timings being so similar, you will have a good result too! His blood markers are quite high, too, so you have that in your favour as well.

And I’m not sure for sure about the covid issue but my sister in law recently had covid and needed a timely operation to fix her dislocated wrist. She tested negative on lateral flow so they went ahead with it, even though she still tested positive on pcr. Best check in with your doctor to know for sure though! Who told you it wouldn’t go ahead if you tested positive?

• Hospital provided the jock strap so I didn’t have to suffer the embarrassment of purchasing a couple. Joy

• Thanks Lavender - yes sounds like we are both on a similar path. Great to hear your husbands scan results came back good - hope that puts him in a good headspace for the procedure.

it was the person at the hospital who booked me in for surgery that said about the Covid. She told me the date of the scan and the Covid test and asked if I’d had Covid before. When I answered yes about 4 weeks ago she said I would probably still test positive in which case they will have to delay surgery which was a bit of a shock! All conversations up until then were about urgent treatment so to then be told I’d be delayed upset me a bit - especially as I got rid of Covid within 4 days according to the lateral flows.

Trying not to worry about it and if there is the suggestion to delay then I’ll fight hard for the op as now I know it’s needed I just want this done!!

Good luck to your husband - let me know how he is please.

cheers!

• Brilliant - thanks! My internet searches are weird enough in the last few weeks without me looking for jock straps! JoyJoy

• Good luck for today, Wildheart!!! 

• Thanks Lavender! It’s gone well and I’m home - fingers crossed for the results now. 

How is your husband doing?