Post chemo recovery time

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 12 subscribers

I am 64 years old, a very large tumor was found in my abdomen caused by an undecended testical. I completed 4 cycles of chemo therapy which started in June and ended September. It is now 4 months on and I still feel run down, I have lost a lot of the strength I had in my arms and legs. I am wondering how long it will be before I will start feeling like my old self again. I realise that everyone is different, advice please.

• Hi,

Don’t worry. 4 cycles is a lot and you are still in the early stages of recovery. 
    My husband had 4 cycles of EP ( finished in April) and is still not  back to pre-illness energy levels. He still gets pins and needles and is tired sometimes. He is getting there and going back to work in Jan. 

Your body has been through a lot and recovery can be very gradual. 

Take care and hope your Christmas goes well.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Soliflyer, 

I agree that chemo will be a gradual recovery process as your body has been through a lot.

I know in my area there are gym instructors who have a cancer exercise qualification. They do fantastic work in our community as physical activity (it doesn’t have to be sport, lifting heavy weights or dancing about a class) can really help reduce fatigue, anxiety and depression whilst increasing bone and muscle strength. Most forms of exercise are safe but it is great to speak to people who have a bit more knowledge about cancer types and treatments and suitable exercises. 

I am 34 and I hate the gym so one of the instructors made up a ‘prehab’ programme for me to do at home. Includes some strength and balance exercises but also walking and getting the heart rate up. He did say as I am pre-surgery (won’t be later today) that I am pretty much safe to do anything that I feel comfortable doing but that if I am to go through chemo then he will look at my programme with me to ensure that I am also not overdoing things. 

I had a quick look and there is a Macmillan Move More page that gives some guidance on physical activity. 

Best wishes 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks for the reply, I agree that I need to exercise, the problem is I don't really enjoy doing it. Anyway a few days ago I bit the bullet and took myself out for a brisk walk, I must have over done it, too brisk and too long, I walked for just under an hour and really paid the price it felt like I was back on the chemo for over a week. 

Little and offen is the answer.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Little and often is definitely the key. The instructor that I have worked with uses the line ‘listen to your body’ all the time. We actually had a conversation about if I did have to have chemo etc and he said that one of the hardest parts for his clients is that it is gradual and so people who were quite active before find it so frustrating. Brain says they can do it because they always did it, body says not quite yet. 

I don’t particularly like exercise either. I played amateur football (not very well) until a year or so ago and that alongside 5 a sides was about all that I did. Just sharing this in case I come across as a total exercise junkie and advocate...I certainly am not but I am enjoying the programme that I have been given. 

I hope you have a great Christmas.

Best wishes