Tinnitus after Carboplatin

• 3 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi

I had a single cycle of carboplatin back in May and it has triggered some mild tinnitus.  I can live with it, but it is annoying and I certainly wouldn't want it to get any worse.  Has anyone else experienced tinnitus trigggered by carboplatin, and if so did it ever subside or did it continue for ever?

I did have tinnitus many years ago that was triggered by a very loud concert, but that gradually faded over about nine months.  This feels similar in nature. 

G

• Hi . I had Cisplatin several years ago for a different cancer. The platinum based drugs (-platin) are known to cause hearing problems. I developed tinnitus. Mine was/is like white noise, a constant hissing. It subsided after several months, but even today it comes and goes. I had an appointment with ENT and was told there is nothing they can do. I have learned that atmospheric pressure can have an effect on this, so very hot or very old weather can trigger it. I have learned to live with it. Most of the time I don't notice it, but as you must know, when you are aware of it, it is hard to get it out of your head. There are sounds you can find on tinternet that cancel out the sound for relief and you have to find the right one. I my case it is the sound of a shower running, but listening to that is just as annoying. I hope you get some relief as I know how annoying it is. Strangely, I have not had it for months, but it has recently come back. I hope it is short lived. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thanks rily

I've noticed it much more since the weather changed recently and the atmospheric pressure dropped.  Up until then I was only aware of it maybe 20% of the time, but now it's increased to around 60%.

I can deal with it as it is, but I'm feeling a bit paranoid about it getting worse.  

G

• Hi Teahupo. I can only empathise with what you are going through. No one could understand what tinnitus is. If it is any consolation, mine remained stable and never got worse. There were times I wished for it to stop for just a minute - just a minute - to know what silence sounded like. Like I say, it faded, and although it comes back now and again, it is only short lived. Hoping the same for you. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?