Stomach cancer spread

• 2 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hi, 

my dad (69) was diagnosed with stomach cancer around 3 weeks ago. After scans, laparoscopy and stomach wash we have been told today it’s spread to the lymph nodes and peritoneum. He’s been offered palliative chemo. They cannot operate.  I’m so scared. Due to his anxiety it seems he’s already given up. He’s losing weight as he cannot eat, otherwise he’s fit and well (no pain thankfully). 

does anyone have any advice or has been through this and come out the other end please (if this is possible)? I’m guessing palliative means end of life.. this is all so much to take in. 

thanks in advance, 

louise

• I am so sorry to hear about your dad.  You will be in a state of shock as you battle so many emotions.  You should ask the medical team what treatment they can give your dad. There will Bea palliative care team, who will give your dad and the family support.  
    You can get support from Macmillan and a Maggie’s centre, if there’s one near you.

The group Supporting someone with incurable cancer forum might be useful as it has others in the same situation.

When my mum had incurable cancer many years ago, it helped to focus on doing things that made her happy or helped make her comfortable.

Take care!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Ah thank you Jac, that’s very helpful. I’ve read over your blog and it’s very inspirational. You’re very helpful to others so many thanks for the reply. I will definitely look over this thread. 

kindest regards and hope you have a lovely Christmas! 
    louise