Age 28 and stomach cancer

• 56 replies
  • 23 subscribers

So..

I got my diagnosis 5 days ago, it started with reflux and epigastric pain in November last year, went for an OGD, told I had a stomach ulcer and hpylori. Given eradication, felt better, but reflux still there, had my repeat scope 6 weeks later and ulcer still there so a biopsy was taken… adenocarcinoma stage 2-3, not spread to any lymph nodes or organs.

I’m so angry that a biopsy wasn’t done on my first OGD, so so so angry!!! 
The plan now is, staging laproscopy, FLOT chemo, total gastrectomy, more chemo.

I am a nurse, and I am so worried about dying and I’m so worried about leaving my partner and my family behind.

Life doesn’t feel fair and I asking myself why me?

Has anyone had a similar diagnosis to me and is further along who can support me?

Thank you

Chloe x

• Hi, could I ask if your husband had a total or sub total gastroscopy, my surgery is provisionally 24th April, thanks 

• That’s amazing sue! All I do is read these positive messages you are all getting me through such a tough time Hearts️ I’m so so nervous for my staging laparoscopy incase it’s bad news and it’s worse than they thought, because I cannot and will not die at fucking 28 years old, it just can’t happen!!!! Xx

•  It was a partial gastroscopy. 
    Hope all goes well with your surgery. Xx

• Hi Chloe, I am really sorry to read your story.  I am at a similar stage although at 67years much older! . I have a 5cm tumor.  Stage 2, T2 M0 so it has not spread and caught early. My only symptoms being an occasional stomach pain and weight loss.   I had a staging laparoscopy 3 weeks ago which just confirmed the results from my scans including a PET scan.  The laparoscopy went fine and I was home the same day.  The cuts healed quickly although my stomach was sore for a week and still gives pain twinges.  The main issue was the referred shoulder pain that I was not warned about.  This lasted 24hrs and at times was very painful but soon went. The hospital gave me pain killing tablets for this.   It is caused by the gas put into your stomach irritating a main nerve which then causes a referred pain in your shoulder, bizarre. 

I met my oncologist last week who told me I needed to have a PICC line  inserted and then 4 chemo sessions, 14days apart. Starts in 3 weeks. The chemo (FLOT)  is 4 different infusions lasting 1,2 and 1 hours on day 1 then lasting 24hr using a pump.  The pump is used at home so no need to stay at hospital overnight. 

Following chemo it will be more scans and then probably surgery then more chemo.  I am not thinking about the surgery until after the chemo as this sounds major.  

Any questions you have please ask as I will be just ahead of you on our journey.  I wish you all the best. 

David

• Hi David,

I’m so sorry to hear you’re going through the same thing as me! But it definitely helps not feeling alone Two hearts I’m so glad you’re progressing with your treatment! I had my staging lap 1 week ago and got my results today- no spread and no cells on peritoneal wash which is so good! I’ve been referred to oncology today so hopefully will have an appointment next week and then I can commence chemo! Wishing you all the luck with your journey and keep me updated with how you’re getting on! I also had the shoulder pain and it was HORRIBLE, but I did expect it because I’m a nurse myself! Good luck with everything xx

• Gosh, it's exactly the same 6 weeks gap between laparoscopy and start of chemo that my husband had, sounds so unnecessary. :( Very hard to cope with the bad thoughts meanwhile. 
    He started this Monday, same regimen as you are describing. Best of luck. 

• It’s very annoying waiting! My hospital is pretty good, I’m from Liverpool and everything has been really fast so far so I can’t complain, there’s a lot of fantastic hospitals around here! 

• Hi, I’m on the same journey, I am due to have surgery on the 24th April after 4 rounds of chemo. 
    just wanted to say good luck with your treatment x

• When we’ve all finished, I think we should all go for a drink! We deserve it!x

• Hi, thank you and wishing you the best of luck with your surgery.  I would be interested on how this goes as it is my nain concern on this journey.