Introduction to me and my journey so far

• 19 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Hi everyone 

I’m Claire and I’m 40, and recently discovered I have stomach cancer. After many tests and no real symptoms  other than 2 isolated incidents of vomiting blood (months apart) I have been diagnosed with stomach cancer / it’s in the upper stomach on junction of oesophagus. No medical history / healthy active etc  I am fortunate in that I am being offered chemo op to remove all of stomach followed by chemo again.
to say I’ve been left floored would be an understatement and I know you will all understand - feeling like this isn’t real / moments where you almost forget and then reality whacks you in the face again! I have a child who just turned 5 and whilst he is absolutely my driving force for getting on with this I often feel a huge sense of guilt / failure that I’m in this situation that whether I like it or not will impact him in some way. 
That said I have mainly been positive and focused on the controllables such as gym and diet Staying busy. Although I am lucky to be signed off work as my job is stressful and I couldn’t work adhoc as it just wouldn’t work  - I am finding the days sometimes long.  
I got my chemo schedule yesterday and thankful to be starting on Monday 22nd May and my last one will be 3rd July. I know it doesn’t really matter how bad it is for me as I have to do it I’m just feeling a little scared. Does getting the picc line in hurt? Can you still bathe etc? How realistic is still doing some gym throughout chemo? For those that did did it help? Also another question is what did you all pack in your chemo bags? I’ve been told I can’t take anyone with me which I totally understand But keen to hear what things be you all took and what helped etc. did you take snacks etc. the oncologist said I’ll be fine and I’m likely overthinking ….. sorry for rambling. I must say I have taken so much comfort from reading all the posts in here for the last few months. You’re all so inspirational and have helped give me some strength so I’d like to thank you for that. 

Claire xx

• Hi Claire you have the same cancer I had. You will be fine the chemo will kill the cancer cells and the operation will be a little scary but it will work. My operation was in November last year followed by chemotherapy in December and January. The only hiccup was the valve at the top in the throat closed so I have had a small operation to open it. 

• PS starting to eat normal food in small amounts.

• Thank you for sharing Johnboy. And great to hear you’re making such good progress with the food and so quickly. I am already trying to get into the habit of eating small amounts more often and ensuring I’m eating a good diet. 
    Did you exercise during chemo? Is taking my child to school and pick ups during chemo realistic? 
    Claire xx

• Hi yes the surgeon encouraged me to walk as much as I could during chemo,as it helps recovery during chemo and my operation followed after six weeks. Keep up any exercise you can it all helps with your recovery.

• So sorry you find you’re self here Claire, yes it’s surly a crap time you’re going through and there’s so little wrote about stomach cancer, I was surprised this is the only UK forum I could find as well. I can’t help you regarding chemo as my husband didn’t have it, he did have a full stomach removed in Jan, he’s doing well and eating fine, tonight wedges and ribs so anything’s possible really so long as it’s often and small portions. He was in hospital 7 days, had a few up and down days when he came out but as of now doing really well. I hope everything goes well for you x

Sue Xx
  • Hi Sue 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. It’s so encouraging to hear about your husbands story and how positively the operation has gone for him. I know it will all be worth it in the end I’ve just got to keep pushing through. 
    may I ask if your husband had a feeding tube after the op? If so how long for? Claire xx

• Hi Claire,

I’m sorry that you have found yourself here but welcome to the group. I’ve found it really beneficial thus far.

You sound like you’re in a similar situation to myself. I’m 38 and have a 1 year old, she was 10 months old when I received my diagnosis. I too have a stressful job so have been signed off work

I stumbled upon my cancer by chance, I had no signs or symptoms so I completely understand what you mean when you say that it doesn't feel real. I would say that it is completely natural to be fearful of the unknown, I certainly was but what I will say is that each stage of this journey has been better than what I expected. I am currently awaiting a date for my last 4 sessions of chemo having had a total gastrectomy on the 12th of April.

I had a Hickman line rather than a picc line, that didn’t hurt as they numb the area so I just felt a little bit of pressure. I would guess that the Picc line would be similar. I could still shower but couldn’t submerge in a bath. I normally attend the gym but found I was a little more tired with day to day tasks and looking after a toddler so I ended up going for walks and just doing little bits at home. Everyone is different so just listen to your body and conserve some energy.

When going for a chemo session I would pack a couple of snacks and wear comfortable clothes. I would download a couple of films on to my phone and take my iPods as you’re normally there for around 5 hours. I was quite surprised on my first session as it wasn’t what I expected, it was almost like a coffee morning so it was nice to have a chat with some of the other patients but if you prefer to keep yourself to yourself you can just pop on your headphones.

One of the drugs administered is really sensitive to the cold so I used to also take gloves and warm socks and made sure that I didn’t drink anything cold. 

I think as a mother I always feel mum guilt but the most important thing is that you get well again. I’ve made many happy memories with my daughter and partner throughout this and I’m sure that you will too. I hope that this has been helpful, if I can help in any way don’t hesitate to ask many members of this forum have helped me through. All the best x

• Hi Cestrian

thank you for taking the time to send all the info. So helpful and reassuring. I can’t imagine what it must be like going through this with such a young baby. You are one strong cookie and have such a positive attitude. . 
    Can I ask did you suffer any neuropathy? I was told this can be worse with the FLOT and also that it may never go away even once chemo has ended. 
    I have to say what has amazed me is that all the medical team based in Carlisle and Newcastle have said they’re shocked I have this as of my age yet through people like yourself and stories I’ve read online it seems that it’s much more common than thought? They have mentioned genetic testing (my biological father passed very young with cancer but we’re not sure of exactly what type) I have read though that this could cause potential implications for my son later in life and wondered if this is something you’ve been asked? Advice given to me is to consider going privately for scans for my son rather than gee genetic testing. 
    on a positive though I do feel so thankful we found this as if I hadn’t been sick I’d still be sat none the wiser…..

Thanks again for being so kind and providing all the useful info.  I wish you all the best with your last round of chemo and to the start of the rest of your life. Very inspirational. Claire xx

• Yes Claire he woke up with a feeding tube after the op ( along with a lot of other tubes) but it was never used  and took out on his first visit to to see the surgeon after the op, about 3 weeks, the tube wasn’t a problem it just had to be flushed out once a day. If you’re eating ok-ish they will take it out. Good luck Claire X  Oh by the way my husband was never sick or anything it was just found from a yearly CT scan so like you we’re very pleased it was found Xx

Sue Xx
  • Hi, and welcome to the club no one wants to be a member of, but be reassured you’re amongst good company and the replies already have given such excellent and helpful advice that you can hopefully draw on and fix your eyes forward and walking through the milestones ahead of you … and you can and will do it !

My only quick bit of advice to you is if you’re a gym-er too and want maximum freedom of movement, the least faff and ability to shower and submerge in the bath etc ask your team for a port-a-cath line in your arm (mine was in my left arm by my bicep) and just looks like a doorbell button under your skin that the chemo line plugs into and was brilliant.

Hope that helps and stay positive, your mindset and attitude to fighting through really helps !