my journey so far

• 445 replies
  • 34 subscribers

So after quite a lengthy period of bowts of stomach pain and taking medication a different doctor at my surgery sugested i stop the medication in case it was masking something, and unfortunately the pain returned so i was sent for an endoscopy which was done by a surgeon who knew right away that i had stomach cancer, biopsies were taken and i was sent for a CT scan. An mdt meeting was held and i was informed of the outcome, I had Arenocarcinoma cancer (T3 N1 M x) The M could not be determined as there was an indeterminate left lower lobe pulminary micro nodule that was to be monitored

I now have a staging Laproscopy in two days time which will determine which route of treatment i go down. The hope is that the cancer has not spread into the fluids around my stomach which will mean i go on to a course of chemo 4 x 2 weekly followed by a Gastrectomy and then more chemotherapy with a view to a cure.

I have to say how impressed i am with the speed at which things have gone so far and i am also staying positive with the journey ahead. For information i am a 62 year old male normally fit and well with fantastic support from my wife and best friend Jo.

• Hi Mick the side effects for me were. After the first one had sickness for one day. Same for the second but with pin's and needles when touching cold thinks. Third about the same. But the fourth one made tired and weak for three days. But within two weeks after l could almost eat anything even cakes that l made to pass the time. I lost all my hair but it's coming back. The chemotherapy treatment did it's job so it's well worth the small side affects. Hope this helps.

• Thanks John I know its different for everyone so here's hoping I dont have too rough a ride.

• John, could I ask please, did you have your Oesophagus removed as well as your stomach, after what you said you’re to have the two joins checked one in your throat and the other further down I’m just wondering. Also I can’t find the surgery on YouTube you mentioned. Thanks x

Sue Xx
  • Hi the operation I had took my stomach and cut it from the oesophagus and removed the infected area which meant it was turned into a tube.This was done by collapsing my right lung. Only a small amount of the oesophagus was removed. The videos are on the Iplayer called At the edge of life Series 2 episode 5 Getting Better.

• Hello Jac, John and Mick. We went to the appointment yesterday, it was the CNS nurse we saw and the consultant for a couple of minutes at the end. My husbands having his stomach removed early Jan, hes not having chemo as they said the hospital he’s having the op at (Notts) doesn’t give it to people over 75, he said it doesn’t work so well with older people and causes more stress!  We live a fair way from the hospital so he’s going to stay in the hospital hotel overnight been as he has to be there for 7am. Occupational Therapy’s been in touch to see if we’re ok, I think that’s as he 79. I’m feeling a bit better now I know he can have the op just has to pass his fitness and pre med test, what do they do on the fitness test?  Please keep posting and let us all know how you’re  getting on. Good luck to all of us xx

Sue Xx
  • Hi Sue l had my second chemotherapy treatment after my operation. The guy next to me got taking on our treatments he has stomach cancer too and this was his second session of four before his planned operation almost exactly same as mine he is 86 years old. So some of the information told is and could be misleading ?. The treatments seem slightly different from one health authority to another.

• Hi

I had the fitness test!  I had to go on an exercise bike with lots of wires to measure heart rate etc! My legs gave out as they increased the incline!  I also had a lung test!

Chemo is easier before surgery as some people can’t complete it after surgery, so it may be worth asking about the no Chemo policy for over 75s. 
    It is a balance of risk!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Hi firstly I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas break and the best New Year your teatment/condition allows.

I have just had an appointment come for 9th Jan for a chemo telephone appointment, I guess they dont need to see me before my chemo starts as I am normally fit and well apart from tye obvious stomach cancer. Not sure when my first treatment will be but I assume it will be soon after. Everyday that goes by before i start my treatment is a worry as currently i am T3 with no spread and i do worry how long will it be before it becomes a T4 but im trying to stay posistive.

• Hi there you will be fine. I had same after first consultation treatment move's very quickly. Treatment every two weeks then after my first four chemotherapy treatments. Six weeks to build my strength up ready for the operation. Tens days in hospital recovering. Then four weeks to the final lots of chemotherapy treatments to make sure completely free of Cancer. Believe me time passes looking back since treatment started. At present time I have been told that I am completely clear of cancer and am totally pain free. So stay positive knowing you are going to get through this. Hope this helps you.

• Hi John, that does help thanks its really helpful to speak to someone that has been on a simular lourney to the one im on, I'm sure these posts help others along the same journey also.