my journey so far

• 445 replies
  • 34 subscribers

So after quite a lengthy period of bowts of stomach pain and taking medication a different doctor at my surgery sugested i stop the medication in case it was masking something, and unfortunately the pain returned so i was sent for an endoscopy which was done by a surgeon who knew right away that i had stomach cancer, biopsies were taken and i was sent for a CT scan. An mdt meeting was held and i was informed of the outcome, I had Arenocarcinoma cancer (T3 N1 M x) The M could not be determined as there was an indeterminate left lower lobe pulminary micro nodule that was to be monitored

I now have a staging Laproscopy in two days time which will determine which route of treatment i go down. The hope is that the cancer has not spread into the fluids around my stomach which will mean i go on to a course of chemo 4 x 2 weekly followed by a Gastrectomy and then more chemotherapy with a view to a cure.

I have to say how impressed i am with the speed at which things have gone so far and i am also staying positive with the journey ahead. For information i am a 62 year old male normally fit and well with fantastic support from my wife and best friend Jo.

• Thanks for sharing your diagnosis with the group, it really helps to walk the path of treatment with others!   The gold standard treatment is Chemo followed by surgery then more chemo.

The Oesophageal Patients Association is really good with helpful advice which I found useful.

https://opa.org.uk

Being as fit as possible before treatment is really helpful and I focused on eating high protein and high calories before treatment as I lost weight during treatment.  I walked a lot and managed the anxiety by using the Headspace app, which gave me really good strategies to manage the anxiety!

Once you have the Laparoscopy, the medical team will have more information which will inform the treatment plan.

Good luck!

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• Had my staging operation today 7th Nov, really straight forward, would have liked to hear some preliminary results but this was not the case, I now have to wait for an outpatients appointment where findings will be discussed, everything crossed that there has been no spread and no cancer cells in the fluid.

• The waiting is the worst part!  Once the pathology results are back, there will be a Multi Disciplinary Meeting and they will agree the treatment plan! So you are one step closer to get rid of your cancer!

I focused on getting as fit as I could before the treatment- I was not a gym person but walked a lot!  Ate high calorie and high protein foods as I lost weight before my diagnosis and knew I would lose weight during treatment..  

Good luck! 

Jac

• Hi narrowlight, my husband had his staging  yesterday as well. I thought we may have seen the surgeon after as well but it was a busy day for him. My husband also had kidney cancer 4 years ago hence yearly scans where stomach cancer showed up also lymphoma cancer, we’re a little worried in case they can’t do the operation.

I was going to phone the CNS /Macmillan up to see if they knew anything but on reading the reply from Jac it has to go to the MDT so another scary wait x

Sue Xx
  • You could ask when the MDT meets is, to give you an idea of a timeline.   I found that the worst time!  You just don’t know what you’re dealing with!  At one point I was checked for secondary breast cancer! But mine was a primary stomach cancer, and a very rare but aggressive one!

They may also do more tests, I had two MRIs because of a cyst on my liver, which turned out to be a benign cyst!

It’s an absolute rollercoaster as you come to terms with having cancer! The only thing that helped me was to try take some control!  I focused on getting as physically fit as I could- eating lots of high calorie and high protein foods, as I knew I would lose weight during treatment and I had lost weight before I was diagnosed!  I used the Headspace app to manage the anxiety especially at night.   And I did things that made me happy- time with my family, watching a programme I enjoyed, going out  for coffee etc

Take care xx

Jac

• Thank you Jac, good advice there and I will ask that of the CNS. 
    You sound as though you’ve been through the wars as well, hoping everything’s ok now.

Good luck everyone  xx

Sue Xx
    • Thanks Jac and Sue, these forums really do help its only been a couple of days since my staging operation but i find myself will my phone to ring to get on with the next stage of my journey whatever that may be.

Am i being optimistic in thinking i may be able to continue working during Chemo and onwards? I think im still in denial and it all feels like an out of body experience and not happening to me.

• It’s really a stressful time, I’m not sure If want the phone to ring or not. I know the MDT meeting met tonight and would of hoped my husband was discussed on it, so maybe tomorrow ??

Not sure about your chemo Narrowlight, my husband was told he wouldn’t  have it if he was to have surgery, maybe it’s because he only has one kidney, also Lymphoma was found at the same time as stomach cancer, we’ll have to just wait and see.

Good luck Narrowlight and please let us know your results and I’ll do the same xx

Sue Xx
  • Hi

I didn’t work during chemo as I had a stressful job and was lucky to have good sick pay.  I did find chemo hard, much harder than recovery from the operation.

I went back to work six weeks after the operation although I was able to work on a phase return.  I didn’t have chemo after the operation.

Everyone reacts differently to chemo and some people have only mild side effects.

Hope you find out the treatment plan soon!

Jac

• @jacquiw10 can I send you a friends request please x

Sue Xx