my journey so far

• 445 replies
  • 34 subscribers

So after quite a lengthy period of bowts of stomach pain and taking medication a different doctor at my surgery sugested i stop the medication in case it was masking something, and unfortunately the pain returned so i was sent for an endoscopy which was done by a surgeon who knew right away that i had stomach cancer, biopsies were taken and i was sent for a CT scan. An mdt meeting was held and i was informed of the outcome, I had Arenocarcinoma cancer (T3 N1 M x) The M could not be determined as there was an indeterminate left lower lobe pulminary micro nodule that was to be monitored

I now have a staging Laproscopy in two days time which will determine which route of treatment i go down. The hope is that the cancer has not spread into the fluids around my stomach which will mean i go on to a course of chemo 4 x 2 weekly followed by a Gastrectomy and then more chemotherapy with a view to a cure.

I have to say how impressed i am with the speed at which things have gone so far and i am also staying positive with the journey ahead. For information i am a 62 year old male normally fit and well with fantastic support from my wife and best friend Jo.

• Yes of course! I have sent one to you.  Happy for you to message me if that helps.

Jac

Life is what happens when you are making other plans!  

• @Narrowlight did you get your results from the staging Lap. 

Sue Xx
  • Hi sue, yes got them today after calling the CNS yesterday. Great news the cancer has not spread outside my stomach so I will be going down the route of Chemo full Gastrectomy and more chemo and also due to a cancellation I have my appointment with my oncologist tomorrow.  Silly but really happy still a long way to go but now there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Did your husband get his results yet? fingers crossed the news is good.

• Hi Narrowlight, Lovely news you got told it hasn’t spread, yes he also got good results, CNS phoned and said it hasn’t spread, we have an appointment on Monday to see what’s happening. Mart has stomach cancer so will be having all his stomach removed, is that what your having? We was told at first meeting that he won’t be having chemo, maybe cos of his age 79  OR his kidney cancer OR his Lymphoma cancer. Don’t know about you but I’m really scared. We haven’t got any stage and grade results, was told we don’t get them till the big operation, finding that a bit hard to believe but maybe so.
    Will you let me know what they say tomorrow. Thanks xx

Sue Xx
  • Hi Sue yes I have stomach cancer also.

Had my appointment today I wasn't given a grading either but there was loads of information given which was really hard to take in, so any questions i may have had just didn't spring to mind as i was trying to process what i had been told which was:

i will be having chemo before my operation to remove the whole of my stomach then more chemo.I was told this was the best option to remove all of the cancer but no guarantees obviously.

in the next 2-3weeks i will have an appointment to have a line put into my arm into a vein that goes up the arm into the chest near the heart this is for the pump part of chemo that i take home, i will be on Flot chemo every two weeks four times before and then again after operation. Not got the start date yet but it looks like 1st week of Jan 2023. Theres a million side effects to be wary of.and yes scary.

Glad your husbands results were also good in that there was no spread.

• Hello my name is John I have had the same treatment that you are about to undergo. I had four lots of chemotherapy treatment. Then had the operation six weeks after the first lot of chemotherapy. The operation takes up to six hours and when you come round you will have several tubes attached to you. When I came around the surgeon was there to see if I was Ok. He told me that the chemotherapy treatment had done it's job reducing the tumor and killing the Cancer. I stayed in hospital for 10 days and had a further six weeks before starting the next four chemotherapy treatments.I am at present on that course of treatment. I can only say that the road to recovery may seem long but there is light at the and of the tunnel. Take it one day at a time and stay strong. 

• Hi @Johnboy1957, Not saying this nastily but really nice to talk to someone who’s had their stomach removed, apart from the chemo how are you now, how’s the eating, I really can’t imagine how life is after you’ve had your stomach removed, are you managing to get out for walks and thing like that. What hospital was you at?

I hope the chemos not too hard to deal with, please keep in touch with us as I’m sure we’ll have loads of questions to ask. 
    Good luck John xx

Sue Xx
  • Hi Narrowlight , I bet there was a lot to take In, chemo does sound scary but hopefully it cleans everything up, we was told my husband can’t have that, maybe his age or his other cancers. I’ll let you know on Monday what we’re told. 
    It’s nice Johnboy came on and hopefully he can help us on our way along with Jac.Xx

Stay safe everyone 

Sue Xx
  • Hi John thank you for sharing your story with us, its good to hear from someone who is on the same treatment plan i'm about to start and im sure others who read this will take comfort in knowing there is a light at the end.

How was the chemo for you? did you have any side effects?

My name is Mick.

• Hi my diet at the moment is what's known as a. purée diet. I also still feed through a tube over night to keep my kcal in take up. After the operation you're given breathing exercises to build your fitness up. After I had the chest drains removed l would walk around a little bit at first doing a bit more each day. I can walk small distance s with out being short of breath and a fair distance if I take my time. I was at the Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham under Dr Whiting who is a well respected surgeon. It's strange feeling having my stomach turned into a tube. After several weeks I am now pain free as everything has healed up. I am also going to have further scan's after the chemotherapy treatment. Dr Whiting wants to check the two valves,one in throat and the one between stomach and intestines to see size of their openings. As to the side affects from the chemotherapy I wasn't to bad at all but the last session was the roughest for me. I was ill for three days weak and tired. But it's all worth it. Also my hair fell out but it will come back. There are videos on YouTube showing Dr Whiting doing operations which my wife has watched and she understands what it involves.

Regards John