Recurrent Low Grade Endometrial Stromal Sarcoma

• 5 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hello, I'm new here and wanted to add my story in the hope that it will help the newly diagnosed a little bit.

I was diagnosed way back in 2004 after a hysterectomy for what was thought to be fibroids. I had a full hysterectomy at that point and once it was clear that this was LGESS they went back and took the cervix too.

All well and good for a short while with clear scans but unfortunately the doctors had assumed that at 46 I might need some HRT to help me with what would be surgical menopause. Back then there wasn't testing for hormone sensitivity.

A year later I had recurrence in my lung and had the lower lobe resected which sorted that out and I ceased taking HRT because I had read about possible hormone sensitivity. Then a further year on I had recurrence in my pelvis and this time I had doxorubicin chemotherapy followed by radiation therapy.

Whether it was the radiation or the ceasing of HRT I'll never know but there followed 14 years of stable disease, there was even some regression of the largest marker tumour from 3.6cm to 3.4com over time and I became so complacent that I decided to stop having annual CT scans. By this time I was over 60 and had been through breast cancer and a broken femur too so I was tired of hospitals.

Big mistake with hindsight because almost immediately I developed pain in my groin. Thinking I might have a hernia or something I ignored it for almost three years before a CT scan showed that my original marker tumour had doubled in size and many of the others had grown larger too. Now there were also lung tumours dotted about as well.

So here I am at 67,  more than 20 years from diagnosis, some problems and some pain but still here and enjoying life, being prescribed Letrozole for the first time. 

• Hi  

Thanks for sharing, my wife is 59 and also enjoying life after having been diagnosed over 10 years ago with Leiomyosarcoma. 

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

So great to hear your story! People don’t know that it can be manageable. You don’t get told that. 

I am worried about reoccurrence but even if it does happen in your case it seems good. Dealt with so much but going strong! 

Thank you for sharing your story. 

Xxx

• So much more can be done to enable us to live with the disease and there are new treatments being tried out all the time. Never lose hope xx

• Hi  sorry I didn’t see your original post until now. I’ve been living with LGESS myself since 2009, and like yourself I was wrongly put on HRT and so had reoccurrence in my lungs in 2014. After an op, radiotherapy, zoledex and anastrozole I have been lucky to remain stable since. Hope the letrozole is going ok x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Lovely to meet you!

Just read your bio and see that you have been through the mill and at a young age.

I have osteoporosis (inevitable as my full hysterectomy was at 46 and my mother had osteoporosis too). So, once I get my scan results in September, if they show a slowing down of disease and I stay on Letrozole then I will need to have something to counter the inevitable further bone loss.

Reading about your physio has encouraged me to begin exercises, your positive attitude is very encouraging to those who are being diagnosed now. :-)