Painless swollen calf leads to investigations into soft tissue sarcoma. Has anybody had a similar experience?

• 6 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Hi - and what an amazing place this forum is. I have just been reading a few threads and am taking big breath and buckling in for whatever happens next. 

I am a 65 year old man and have just retired after a 32 year career in the fire service and the next 15 years as a fire safety consultant. Recent scientific research has shown that firefighters are a high risk occupation group for contracting cancer. It does not surprise me as so many colleagues are suffering or have suffered. Now - perhaps - its my turn??????

I presented to my GP with a very swollen calf on my right leg a few weeks ago. No pain, no marks - just a leg that would not have looked out of place on Popeye!! The only potential symptom is a very numb foot on the same leg. That's been causing me problems for months

GP No 1 (as I never see the same one) suspected DVT and organised bloods and an urgent Doppler ultrasound - all proved negative.

GP No 2 scratched his head and honestly didnt have a clue. He said I should 'monitor' the leg and come back if there was any further issues. He was presumably hoping I would come back and see a competent colleague as he clearly wasnt 

I did return and GP No3 was much more clued up. She examined my leg much more thoroughly and basically took her time. She ruled out all the suggestions that Dr Google had presented me with and said the swelling was firm and probably muscular. She would send me to the 'Muscle Clinic'.  I had never heard of that, in fact I thought that it sounded like a tacky name for a High Street gym!

Then a text saying that I would recent a call from a colonal rectal clinic last week. I was confused and didnt really tie up this message with my GP referral. I thought it was some kind of random research. But no, it was a cancer unit in a central London hospital 20 miles away from my home.

It turns out that GP No 3 felt lumps deep in my calf muscles (But didnt tell me) - so referred me to this cancer unit (She called it a 'Muscle Clinic) as she suspected soft tissue sarcoma. Frankly I was shocked, as despite my occupation group being at a high risk, I had not considered cancer at all so this was all new and a bit scary.

This clinic are to organise a second ultrasound and hopefully the investigations will happen as soon as possible

So nothing is confirmed and it may all be a false alarm - but I would like to be prepared mentally for what may come next. So has anyone any experience of a painless swelling in a calf that has led to a diagnosis of a soft tissue sarcoma?

Any information, experiences, advice or anecdotes would be very useful and gratefully received.

I have decided - at this time - not to share my cancer investigations with my wife as she has lots going on at the moment including a very poorly Mum. So I will hang on and see what the results of the tests are. I am hoping this forum could be a useful place for me to find out information and share thoughts as I cant do this elsewhere at the moment 

Thank you

• Hi  

Sarcomas are sufficiently rare that many GP's will only see one in their own lifetime so not totally surprised with the history above. As a result of this there has been a lot of awareness raising to make sure people do get referred.

While I do know about the increase risk of cancer for firefighters I think it tends to be linked to a number of subtypes including as you might expect lung but also to cancers linked to exposure to certain chemicals.

Dr Google tends to have rather a poor bedside manner, hopefully though you may have found our page all about soft tissue sarcoma.

Of course even if what you have is not sarcoma you still have some issue that took you to the GP in the first place but it is great for now that you are on the route to find out, hope you do not have a long wait.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi SOT.

I came across your post. My swelling was in my leg and just like you was referred for DVT twice. Other GPS said observe, then due to pregnancy was told it was pregnancy swelling. Shame so many GPs are unaware.

Wishing you all the best and that your results were something else. 

• And now I feel a bit better about my own medico de cabecera (GP equivalent) missing it the first time around.

SOT, mine was a painful swollen thigh. I thought I had a pulled muscle. I'm no expert, but a cancer which isn't painful yet sounds much more treatable - and of course it might not be cancer at all.

Fingers crossed for you.

• Thank you. It's only been 9 days since the MRI results so having seen the oncologist yet, just a gynaecologist as there was a mass in the uterus as well. They said it was the size of a grapefruit but still being positive that I'm well in myself. It's hard not to over think especially with two children under 5. 

• Hi SOT, I hppe you have received your results by the time I have replied and that you have positive news. I have suffered from swelling in my right leg for some time but it wasn't this that led me to go to the doctors. I found 2 lumps on the side of my foot and being diabetic I was concerned they would turn into ulcers, in hindsight this would have bern better as after 2 biopsies I was diagnosed with non curable KS Sarcoma. I was devastated but after finding this website and chatting to others who are incurables it makes you realise that you aren't alone. I have just finished 10 rounds of RT and waiting to see my oncologist for the next step so we'll see. I do hope you have good news and that you don't have to add to this forum  but if you do we are all in the same boat and are a friendly bunch, but fingers crossed you won't be coming along for the ride... take care.

• Hi  

Your story has many echoes with mine so far, although my soft tissue sarcoma is in my arm and not my leg. I have myxofibrosarcoma in my right arm and it took several visits to several different GPs over a period of three years, multiple blood tests, two ultrasounds and an MRI before the baffled orthopaedic consultant I was sent to (because the latest GP couldn't think of anyone else better to send me to next) carried out a biopsy after taking advice from my local Sarcoma MDT. None of the various GPs I saw appeared to consider a soft tissue cancer as a possible cause for the swelling and bruising of my arm. Even the orthopaedic consultant initially discounted sarcoma as a likely explanation. I'm shocked and annoyed at the level of ignorance my GP surgery has shown until now. On the plus side, the sarcoma MDT I'm now in the hands of have been good with answering questions and explaining what might come next. I've found the Sarcoma UK website very useful for info. I've learned that it is important to keep asking questions and gently pushing for answers. I've also learned how lovely people can be when they find out my diagnosis and that they want to support if they can. I see the worry this causes for my partner (I think she does a lot of worrying on my behalf!) but she would rather have known all along than find out later. I know that is a very personal decision and you are concerned about the effect on your wife. I guess you will know a good time and place to talk with her about this and I know that might not be easy for either of you. I wish you the very best.