Saying Hello.

• 2 replies
  • 13 subscribers

I was diagnosed with Sarcoma in April of this year. The actual tumour revealed itself in July 2022 I visited the doctor in September of that year with two other visits before there was a decision to investigate. The investigation was an effort to remove the growth under local anaesthetic! A very painful procedure which was abandoned with the tissue that was removed being analysed. The outcome was a diagnosis of Sarcoma. I was referred to Liverpool Sarcoma Unit I was exposed to numerous scans and X-rays before surgery took place followed by a course of radium all treatments are now completed.

Apart from the initial response I have had excellent treatment from all the medical professionals in my treatment.

The worrying part of the experience was the reluctance to take the lump seriously when I reported it to the doctor if I had not been assertive about the lump being investigated fully then I may have been in serious trouble if the cancer had spread.

• Hi  

Glad to hear things worked out well in the end, one of the issues with sarcoma is that it is quite rare so most doctors will not see a single case in their entire career. It is always interesting when my wife sees a locum GP and explains she has Leiomyosarcoma and watch the GP look it up on wikipedia.

There is quite a lot in the NHS about how we do sometimes have to be our own advocate, sometimes it seems like the doctors have issues believing we actually know what our own bodies normally feel like and when something is wrong. Even more fun when we go in to hospital since the consultants do not seem to believe the GP's either.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Steve

I was told by the Sarcoma nurse that a sarcoma was so rare that the medics will only see one in their careers that said then it would present itself as something so unusual that it would be suspicious and worthy of investigation!

All the best to you and yours for Christmas Santa