Pregnant and possible sarcoma

• 16 replies
  • 13 subscribers

I'm currently 4 months pregnant. On Friday I had a ultrasound for a lump on my foot which I thought was ganglion cyst. Result came back on Monday as 'possibility of sarcoma raised.' 

GP said I'd get an MRI within the next two weeks but I'm really scared. I want to manage my expectations... I go from thinking it's just a precaution to thinking they wouldn't use the word sarcoma if they weren't fairly certain? Has anyone else been in this situation and it not been bad news? 

• HI , and yes I was in that situation.  In February this year, I  had an ultra sound swiftly followed by a  CT scan, which showed a large tumour, in my lower abdoment, purely from the CT picture, it presented  as a possible   sarcoma. It took several frustrating weeks of waiting for tests before it was eventually diagnosed as a completely different type of cancer . My understanding is that  until a biopsy has been done, they cannot be  sure what it is, and until that point, statistically you have a better chance of it being something less troublesome . And, If it should turn out to be a sarcoma, I've read enough posts on this site and others to conclude that the treatment and outcome is far more favorable  and certainly better than when we let our imaginations get the better of us!.   

• I think it's that they've actually said 'sarcoma' this early in. I'd thought they'd be more vague unless it was certain. 

I'm also frustrated by my doctor who promised she'd chase yesterday but the receptionist wouldn't let me speak to her and she never contacted me. How will I get my mri appointment?  My post?

I can't have radiotherapy or chemo until my baby is born and I don't want my baby to grow up without a mother. I've resigned myself to amputation. Wll that stop it? 

• Also thank you for sharing and I'm sorry to hear of your own diagnosis. Sorry - I'm so frightened I was only thinking of myself. 

• HI  

Sarcoma is on a real big focus in the NHS because in the past it was often detected late partially because it is really quite rare so that many doctors only see 1 case in their entire career and also because lumps are simply very common. My wife has Leiomyosarcoma though hers is likely of gynecological origin. She had a couple of rounds of chemotherapy and this had rendered her cancer stable and now we have been living with cancer for over 10 years. 

There is quite a good page on the sarcoma uk site about lumps. 

Hope you get to hear about the MRI soon.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• So glad to hear your wife is doing well! 

One positive from reading the link you shared is that it is small. 

Being pregnant is heightening everything. I desperately want my baby to be OK. 

• I am currently going through the same thing, I’m 21 weeks pregnant and currently having a biopsy next week for ? Sarcoma as my ultrasound and MRI have been inconclusive. Absolutely petrified for the future. Says it could be 3-4 weeks for the results. 

• I'm so sorry you're also going through this. I read yesterday that only 1 in 10 referrals turn out to be cancer. This stat helped me. 

How long did you have to wait between ultrasound and mri? 

• I had a nightmare as no one but a consultant could request my MRI with me being pregnant. It was around 2 weeks. I have been initially diagnosed with a haematoma in my thigh but I pushed for a sarcoma referral. Are you under a sarcoma team? 

• I dont really know. My gp was useless and didn't seem to have any answers. 

I went for an ultrasound for a suspected ganglion cyst on foot. Results came back with possibility of sarcoma being raised. Said I would be referred for mri on a 2ww referral which I'm told means I should be seen within two weeks. 

GP said she would chase on Thursday but when i called receptionist wouldn't let me speak to gp because it hasn't been two weeks. 

• It’s so frustrating but you have to keep pushing things and be an advocate for yourself. I wouldn’t be getting this biopsy if I was not for me persevering. I get your frustration when nothing seems a rush to anyone but all you want is it sorting for the sake of you & your baby. Keep pushing and hopefully you’ll hear something soon.