Is my lump Sarcoma?

• 21 replies
  • 12 subscribers

I Found a hard lump in my left thigh around Christmas time. Went to the GP in Feb and she said probably nothing to worry about but referred for an ultrasound scan.
Had the scan this week and they sent me straight for an MRI as it was a definite mass around 3cm in my thigh muscle.
The report came back and GP called. Report said the mass seems to have its own blood supply and is of concern and a biopsy is recommended. I have my biopsy next week.
I’m 38, fit and healthy play semi- professional sport and have two small children. I did the worst thing and Googled and what came up has made me think I have a Sarcoma.
Just looking for support during this difficult time. Anyone out there with some positive outcomes would really help or just any support at all. Everytime I look at my children I just cry! Last week, everything was ok and now I don’t know what the future holds.

Thank you xx

• Hi CT86

Welcome to the Online Community.

I am sorry to hear that you have a lump on your thigh muscle and that you are worried that this might be a sarcoma. The problem with Google is that it tends to bring up the worst possibilities, it's not always accurate or up to date. I know with my own cancer journey, I did some googling when first diagnosed- I wished I hadn't! 

On the good side you have done exactly the right thing in going to your doctor when finding the lump and the further tests should give the doctors the information they need to find out exactly what this lump is. 

I understand that waiting to find out is tough and naturally being an active sporty person with young children it will be a hard couple of weeks. I hope that your biopsy goes ok next week and that you do not have to wait too long to get the results. Sometimes, depending on how busy the pathology labs are, it can take a couple of weeks or more. If you feel chatting things through would help then please do consider giving the Support Line a call. They are lovely on there.

I will pop a link here to Sarcoma UK which also has some information that may be of help.

Home | Sarcoma UK

Hope this helps a bit and hope that you do not have to wait too long to get answers.

Jane

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you Jane2511. 
    im trying to stay positive and I’m not going on Google anymore. I know that Sarcomas are rare but I know that is a possibility. They have said that the lump is a concern and it has its own bloody supply which I guess makes me think the worst. But Like you said, I have to wait for the biopsy results to know exactly what I’m dealing with. 
    I really appreciate you taking the time to message me xx

• Hi  

I had my biopsy today. It wasn’t pleasant at all. The doctor showed me some of the samples he took and he said they are strange. A jelly like consistency that is almost clear! No blood at all in samples even though MRI said it has blood supply. He said very strange but only results will tell us what it is. Here goes the 2/3 week wait! 

• I am sorry that it wasn't very pleasant, but at least it is done now. Hopefully you will soon get answers. In the meantime you know where we are. The waiting is always tough.

• Hi 

I’ve had a soft tissue sarcoma on the back of my calf but was in the unlucky position to have gone misdiagnosed with it. I was 37, semi fit and played rugby itching to get back to playing. My advice too you don’t google until you have had a diagnosis as it just scares you even more and adds additional stress and upset. Not all lumps are cancerous and when your results come back hopefully it’s a positive result but if not then there is a community that can offer help, support and help you feel that little less alone. Although when I got my diagnosis, I joined online groups it was actually overwhelming knowing others and didn’t want to know. You take each day as it comes.

Just know that whatever the outcome that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I had two operations within the space of 3 months and being told I was cancer free after the 2nd op. I had 6 weeks radiotherapy as a precaution. 

hopefully this has helped you 

• Hi all,

Just a quick question. I’ve had aching pains all of this week in my thigh, the opposite side to my lump. This is the first pain I’ve had in my thigh. Could it be the biopsy that’s causing it a week later or should I be worried that it’s the lump and that’s a bad sign? It’s only been a week and I’m dreading the rest of the time I have to wait for my results xx

• I would give them a call and explain that you are having aching pains and hopefully they will be able to give you some reassurance. Is it possible you have some bruising coming out perhaps. But my feeling is, don't sit and worry- give them a call.

You could also give the Support Line a call and speak to one of the nurses to get some advice

Jane

• I am celebrating it being  twelve months since I had a tumour removed from my left arm which had been diagnosed as a Sarcoma. 
    I had surgery plus six weeks of radium treatment.

I am still cancer free I have checks every three months with a dedicated Sarcoma team in Liverpool looking after me I also have a dedicated Sarcoma nurse who I  can e contact at any time should I have any concerns.

Should you have Sarcoma diagnosis then there is a fantastic support network 

I only use the MacMillan and Sarcoma UK network for information now that I have a nurse I rely on her .

• Thanks you for taking the time to reply. 
    I’ve been told today (2 weeks) that my sample is going through further testing so I’m now more anxious than ever! She said it wasn’t a reflection of any diagnosis but I’m so worried. 

• Hi CT86

That will be the case it’s not a reflection of any diagnosis.

In my case there was a tumour also found in my groin that was not a Sarcoma.