Is my lump Sarcoma?

• 23 replies
  • 13 subscribers

I Found a hard lump in my left thigh around Christmas time. Went to the GP in Feb and she said probably nothing to worry about but referred for an ultrasound scan.
Had the scan this week and they sent me straight for an MRI as it was a definite mass around 3cm in my thigh muscle.
The report came back and GP called. Report said the mass seems to have its own blood supply and is of concern and a biopsy is recommended. I have my biopsy next week.
I’m 38, fit and healthy play semi- professional sport and have two small children. I did the worst thing and Googled and what came up has made me think I have a Sarcoma.
Just looking for support during this difficult time. Anyone out there with some positive outcomes would really help or just any support at all. Everytime I look at my children I just cry! Last week, everything was ok and now I don’t know what the future holds.

Thank you xx

• Gosh the waiting for results is unbearable. I live in Wales so I’m not sure if times are different? It’s now day 16 and I called the soft tissue nurse who has said it’s gone for further testing. In my head it’s because it’s bad news and I can’t think about anything else. Am I overthinking everything? Should I be positive or just be realistic about what they might find? 

Any advice is appreciated x

• To much thinking is never a good response neither is what if thinking.

What I did was to accept I had a Sarcoma. I took to doing plenty of exercise along with mindfulness meditation .
    I did not allow or entertain negative thoughts .once the diagnosis came treatment was quickly carried out with a high standard of medical care in a Sarcoma unit in Liverpool .

The operation removed all trace of the cancer

Follow up was six weeks of radiation to ensure that the tumour was totally eradicated.

I still do not entertain negative thoughts 

• Don’t over think or worry I know it’s hard. My diagnosis was a shock because I wasn’t expecting it but I dealt with it. And I went from having cancer which was end of march when I was told to being cancer free 2 weeks after my 2nd op in the June and then 6 weeks of radiotherapy as a preventive 

• Rugbychick

is this reply meant for CT86 who is extremely worried about Sarcoma?

Your experience of Sarcoma diagnosis is similar to mine my operation took place in April following a diagnosis in March I was clear then for radium in the August all in 2023 like you it was six weeks.

I do feel gain massive confidence that I am in the best possible hands Raised hands and Cancer free.

All the Best Rugbychick

• Hi, 

My son sarcoma is also located on his left arm. My I ask after treatment how long did you have to wait for surgery as we are just waiting for a date now

• Morning Sonia 123

My diagnosis was on the 23rd March I was operated on 17 th of May I then began my radiotherapy which lasted through August.

I live on the Isle of Man my operation had to be done in Liverpool at the Sarcoma Centre at Clatterbridge I hope this of some help?

Should you wish to ask anything do not hesitate 

• Still no results from my biopsy. Apparently I might be discussed in the next MD team meeting. In my head now it’s got to be bad news. Everyone around me is saying surely if there was anything wrong they would contact you? But… they will have the results from further testing’ which makes me think it’s not a good outcome. 
    I’m trying to keep busy, exercise and be more in the moment and not worry but next week will be 4 weeks of this constant worry and it’s starting to affect my sleep and my appetite. 
    I’m getting frustrated with people saying it must be good news and stay positive. 

This forum has been a huge support and I’m grateful for anyone who has taken the time to reply.

thank you x

• Morning CT86

i was wondering how you were getting on the wait is bloody awful.

My biopsy was a result of a surgeon thinking my lump was a cyst and trying to remove it then realising the mass was not a cyst. When he asked me whether I was losing weight aroused my suspicions that it was a cancer.

I had a three week wait for confirmation but I was already preparing for the cancer determination I was relieved as I had been nine months with this lump and no action was being taken I was always being fobbed off till I insisted they examined my lump.

I am still cancer free the growth was removed and radium was used to ensure any cancer cells which were left were killed off.

• Hi all,

still no news. I called my GP this morning and she called back and she wants to see me in person. I’m guessing, she knows the results as she did the referral. If it’s in person I’m guessing it’s not good news. I’m petrified and have been physically sick. 
    it’s awful Pensive 

• The results are inconclusive. The first round of tests flagged up nothing and then they sent it to another lab and nothing found. 
    I have to wait to see what they suggest but likely to be further biopsies. I’m not sure if this is all positive as I still don’t know anything for certain.