Let's be positive

• 2 replies
  • 9 subscribers

My first post detailed my long journey to diagnosis and I was frustrated and dealt pretty much a hammer blow.

However,  on Friday 13th August I was introduced to a great team and I have a different  head on!

This was the first medical person from February  who said "but you're not functioning as well as you could" On with the steroids  ( and I can understand why people buy them on the internet!). The crippling..literally dropping to the floor coughing fits went away, the nausea and lack of appetite went ..4am crumpets anybody? 

A lot happened very quickly. 

I have had to have a nephrostomy.  Honestly,  it's not bothered me. I've  dealt with my periods since I was11, I've got 2 kids, I have worked with special needs kids and adults.  Bodily  fluids...wash your hands plenty!  If we met in the supermarket queue, I wouldn't show you but I'm  pretty upfront about telling people it's there. My husband has changed my bag once..credit for trying but he got me tangled in my underskirt and I've  had to recruit a friend! My husband can't  put bras on either 

I confessed  right away about my crap veins...Blood Donation Service  asked me years ago to stop coming..and went straight for the Picc line. My WI members are crocheting  sleeve covers.

I had my first of 3 doxirubicin deliveries at the end of August.  The pre interview was a bit daunting.." you could get x,y,z,f,I,e,a..." but I knew what I'd get with no treatment  so no deal really. 

I did have a dreadful  dream the night after chemo when I dreamt I'd  picked my side effects and decided I needed to change my mind!

Actually,  I was wondering if they'd  palmed me off with a placebo because I have very few side effects. 

No nausea,  manageable tiredness, no mouth problems.  Some foods are tasting odd.

Day 19 of my 21 day cycle, all of my hair slipped quietly off under the shower. V was due to change the nephrostomy  so a " brace yourself " message had to be shouted before I opened the front door and then she had a 30 minute clean of the bathroom to do. 

Weirdly, the hair salon in  the chemo suite have no Dolly Parton  wigs so I await a Raquel Welch. 

I have to  believe that there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

My friends,  neighbours and Church community  have rallied around and have been needed because my husband was diagnosed  last week with  only 10% of kidney function and is probably  looking at dialysis...perfect storm in this house!!!

But , as I said, I'm  going with the positive, good humoured approach and let's see where it gets me

• Hi

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting your story - you seem really together and that is something I find people who are not going through cancer sometimes find difficult to understand.

Often carers say "they are coping so well" - but in practice what is the choice. We all get dealt a set of cards and we just have to make the most of it.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• I think I have got my **** together Steve.. and people are being  extraordinarily supportive and kind. Hug back