Cost of Mohs at Private Clinics??

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 23 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hello I am wondering about getting Mohs treatment for my BCC privately, rather than waiting for 5 months for the NHS treatment. 

Can anyone tell me roughly how much it would cost? I have emailed a local clinic but they haven't got back to me. 

Thank you. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Ciamia

https://www.cadoganclinic.com/

Dr. Sheth did the MOHS and the skin graft.   Took about 1 1/2 hours.   Very nice treatment there, but 4500 quid.    Might be worth it for facial MOHS surgery/skin graft but for the arm or leg, etc. I would go NHS.  If I get more bcc's I will probably go through the NHS.   

I am now going to a mole clinic every 6 months /or a year so things can get caught earlier......  they caught a skin abnormality on my husband's head and he got it frozen off by the gp!!!      He now wears a hat.

https://www.molescanningclinic.com/      check google for your area, they are starting to become popular.....

It is a thorough exam, better than a GP.      

• Many thanks for your reply and the information.  The Cadogan Clinic is not too far, I live in Uxbridge.  I go to the mole clinic in Argyle Street, just off Oxford Street, they have detected two BCC's

Well worth the money ,similar prices, and for peace of mind, these pesky things!  But so good to catch them early.

Hope all goes well for you :-)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks so much for this advice.  I took my mum to see Dr Sheth at the Cadogan for a second opinion after reading this.  She had a Basal carcinoma on the nose.  He was really good very knowledgeable and much warmer and caring than the previous 2 surgeons we'd seen.  He went through Mohs and told us what the scar would like like.  My mum is not young anymore but she takes care of herself and she was worried about the scar and he took that really seriously.  He also said right out that it could be done on the NHS for free and that if our GP sent a letter he could do it on the NHS. None of the other surgeons brought this up saw I really appreciated his honesty.  

But...Its a 3 month wait with him.  He told me it wouldn't make any difference waiting that long.  He said that he has a team that helps him so he doesn't do it all himself in the NHS but he was sure results on the NHS won't be any different to doing it private.  But I'm thinking he may have to say that??  I'm sure it can't be the same if he isn't doing it all?  Also it's growing.  But we don't  have insurance so its expensive.  Not sure what to do now.  I really want Dr Sheth to do it I totally trust him but 5k is a lot

Also I saw they doing mole scanning at the Cadogan but you went to the molescanning clinic in surrey.  Is that one better?

• FormerMember

I didn't use the Cadogan Clinic for mole scanning so I can't compare.   They seem to be an excellent organisation, of course pricey but.....    I would wait for Dr. Sheth with the NHS.   If he can do the MOHS AND the skin graft in one session through the NHS, you are a winner......  It is an AGONIZING wait though.....   .   I had to get it done quickly due to my mum's health in America.   Initially, the NHS had me going to Westminster for the MOHS, and then the next day to a plastic surgeon at St. George's.   (what a nightmare!)   The op IS traumatising the first time you have to go through it and to think I would have to get transportation up and back to London from Leatherhead was just too much.    

Dr, Sheth is an amazing and caring doctor and certainly knows his stuff!       I think he works out of GUys Hospital with the NHS, am I right?   In using the clinic I went in one Wednesday, and the following Wednesday it was done.    I am 63, non-smoker, and my scar is looking good and it is on my nose.   Dr. Sheth took skin from my shoulder as I wear a hearing aid so he didn't take it from my ear.   I asked for this type of skin graft because a flap would have taken longer to deal with.    The skin graft easily took on 3/4 of the nose but then I developed a black scab near the tip of my nose, I went back to Dr. SHeth (quick appt) and he looked at it and initially said the graft didn't take there.   He looked again and said, no it is ok, it is healing underneath.   He was right.   I then went to see him 3 months after the op and he was so happy he took photos of my nose about 6 times with his phone (after asking me if it was ok!).     His photo gallery on his phone must be interesting!  haa haa.......   When I initially went to him he also said I could get it done on the NHS, I told him I know but can't wait, and he said I could wait 3 months to get the op, I knew that too.     He is an honest surgeon and talented.    It is nice to be treated as a human being with the clinic but it is also pricey, I understand this.    

After this MOHS/Skin graft I could NEVER get cosmetic surgery......   oh my.......   

• FormerMember

Lattelover thanks so much for the detailed and quick reply.  I was about to book in for the private Mohs but I think  I will wait. Dr Sheth did say it would be done all on the same day on the NHS too.  I think your situation was different and in your shoes we would have done exactly the same as you and it would have been money well spent. But I think we can afford to wait to have the surgery by Dr Sheth at Guys hospital.  You have saved us a heap of money and peace of mind that we will get a great surgeon for free.   Thank you. Much love xx

• FormerMember

Please give him my regards.    Patty, his Cadogan Clinic patient who loves going to Gujarat!   

• FormerMember

I will for sure thanks so much! X

• FormerMember

Where did you go for this? I'm trying to work out where to send my daughter as she's been recommend removal of a lesion beneath her eye.  Want to find the best!

• FormerMember

Cadogon Clinic, Sloan Square, London.   4,000 GBP.   Mohs and plastic surgery included ; one morning's session.  1 followup visit and then I asked for another visit.     Dr. Sheth.   I was very very happy with the speed of the appointment and workmanship and care.   My nose looks fine now, got it done in May, takes about 3 months to look decent, so be patient.      

• FormerMember

I went with the NHS - and had the same MOHs surgeon and max-fax consultant as I would have done if I'd gone privately. Might have taken longer to get from diagnosis to surgery, but cost me nothing for exactly the same treatment!