Cost of Mohs at Private Clinics??

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 23 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hello I am wondering about getting Mohs treatment for my BCC privately, rather than waiting for 5 months for the NHS treatment. 

Can anyone tell me roughly how much it would cost? I have emailed a local clinic but they haven't got back to me. 

Thank you. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hey, I was in the same boat as you when I was first diagnosed, I was looking at going private but they were asking for £200 just for the consultation. The NHS don't usually make you wait 5 months when it comes to skin cancer. I thought that I had to wait that amount of time but it turned out that my NHS appointment was actually quicker than private. Have you received your appointment date yet? good luck and I hope everything goes well, it will be fine :) 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

I enquired and it was £5000. Same surgeons as the NHS so when I spoke to my consultant he told me it would be a waste of money as the lesions are so slow growing. I asked to be put on their cancellation list and had my surgery last week, just 6 weeks after the appointment with the plastic surgeon. Some areas I have been told there is up to a years wait.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks both for your replies. I got s call today, offering me a cancellation for Wednesday next week! I took it, I'm dead scared now but telling myself it will be over soon. I hope it goes as smoothly as everyone on this forum reports. Will keep you posted!

Thanks again. 

• FormerMember

Will be thinking of you next week and look forward to hearing your version of events.  Be brave, love and hugs. lesliexx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I was like you too, and figured it would be more than 5000 as I need reconstructive plastic surgery after the MOHS surgery.    I am asking the MOHS surgeon at Chelsea/WestMinster Hospital in London to use the plastic surgeon (the second day) in Epsom, SUrrey as it is closer to my home.   At first they were going to use a plastic surgeon at St. George's Hospital in Tooting but this just didn't make sense and to have the two hospitals get dates together takes eons.     It is so frustrating, I just want this over with so I can get on with life.   I dare not travel until this is all over.   

I keep getting little bumps on my nose here and there besides the initial area.    So upsetting not to have fast service on this.....   After this problem I decided to get top-up insurance just in case I ever need it.    The wait has been interminable.   I am documenting everything and this all started officially last August.    

Good luck.   

• FormerMember

Does Chelsea and Westminster not offer plastic surgery as part of its Mohs surgery "package" of treatment?

• FormerMember

No, for some stupid reason, they are using a previous doctor's letter to go back to her.....  It's crazy.....

• FormerMember

I'm up in Manchester and have waited a year since first showing my lump to my GP. I've seen four different doctors in that time, all of whom have said it needs MOHS surgery soon, and I've had a biopsy to confirm bcc. Not sure what to do now.... it seems incredibly slow, however I am now going away on holiday but the travel insurance is huge, which is very annoying, how does my bcc affect the likelihood I'll break my leg or something?! 

• FormerMember

I paid 4400 gbp for my MOHS surgery and skin graft on my nose (skin taken from my shoulder)..   This was in London but it is the going price in the greater London area.   I was getting too stressed out about it and my mum is very poorly (she lives overseas).    I just had to get it done.   Was seen within a week and the same doctor who did the MOHS did the skin graft; took about 2-3 hours, treated wonderfully,    No regrets.     The second layer of tissue was clear for the MOHS.    

If I went NHS I would have had to go to one hospital for the MOHS, then another hospital for the skin graft.   Two different days with lots of needles in my nose?  No thanks.    It would have been torture......

If I had bcc on my arm or leg, no problem waiting for the NHS and the two hospitals, but ... my nose, and a skin graft???   No thanks.   After 3 months, it is looking pretty good, but it DOES take 3 months.   I had a good skin graft but the tip of my nose didn't heal as fast and it had an ugly scab on it for a while, just had to be patient with it's healing and kept it well gelled.....

• Hello

I did consider going privately for the nodular BCC on the side of my nose, I had a private consultation and the price was £5000, but that didn't include the after care. Could I ask where did you go?

I had already had the biopsy done and had my first visit with the NHS MOH's surgeon on the NHS, and was told it would be a long wait for the operation.  I phoned the hospital twice a week for cancellations and was lucky to get one for the following week.

I had the op done, a hole in the side of my nose and skin graft from the side of my ear all done at the same time, I don't know if it was performed on the same day because it was fairly small, I think in all from start to finish of the operation it took about 2 hours.  I cannot fault my aftercare with the NHS dermatology nurses and it has healed extremely well.

I thought I would mention this because all hospitals are different and we all have different experiences and expectations.

However I would really appreciate details of the private clinic you attended, as I've been told that I'm certain to get more BCC's,  So far I've had 2 on my nose 1 on the corner of my eye and one on my forehead.  I may not be so lucky with a cancellation next time!

Best wishes