When can you start using suncream on a scar on your face

• 22 replies
  • 11 subscribers

I had a BCC on the side of my nose removed by escision and primary closure  6 weeks  ago.  It has healed very well, although sometimes it can look  red and the skin is raised at the end of  the scar nearest my eye. i tried using suncream two weeks after my op but ended up washing it off as it stung my nose. Since then I have just used sun cream on the rest of my face and covered my scar with vaseline.    I also wear a large brimmed sun hat,  as I can't stand wearing sunglasses very long as they rub against the scar.  We are going on a cruise to  Spain and Portugal at  the end of the week and I would feel happier if i could protect the whole of my face with suncream when we go out. Is it ok to use a factor 50 suncream for the face over the scar at this stage, or is there a special cream anyone could recommend while my scar may still be sensitive?  Also I have been applying moisturiser on the rest of my face at night as usual, but just using suncream in the day.  Can anyone tell me whether it is better to put moisturiser on first or apply it  over the sun lotion.  Many thanks.

• Hi davina

Glad to hear you have clear margins and that you're healing well.

My wound was left to heal by secondary intention and so was covered for six weeks, but once the dressings were off I applied factor 50.

I don't use moisturiser as I just use the sun cream.

Probably the best advice I can give you is to call your surgeons secretary who will pass your query o to the doctor who can advise you.

During my healing process I found they were more than happy to answer any questions I had.

Enjoy your holiday.

• Hi Davina  My routine is serum, moisturiser then factor 50 sucream then foundation if I am going out.  I use Boots No 7 factor 50 facial suncream.  I showed my Consultant what I used and he said the best you can get as it is 5 star uva too.  I wear all that, plus sun hat and sun glasses.  I know how you are feeling as my last one was so near my eye it affected my tear duct, but has serttled now.  Don't go out in the sun with vaseline as it will tend to "cook" your skin.  Try the No 7 but please be very careful as that new skin is very sensitive.  I use No 7 serum andf moisturiser.  My No 7 Consultant has been fantastic when I go in and his Mum has had 3 of these damn skin cancers on her face and he is trying to help her too.  When I went in the other week he said Oh Babe you look lovely you have your glow back.  Keep in touch but please take care, as we were in Cornwall and the sun was so hot and I was always on edge.  Enjoy your holiday xx

• Hi Harlyn

I didn't realise number 7 did sun block. Is it anti sting as I have to be careful what I put near my eyes. I've been using ambre sollaire as it's anti sting.

Hope your husband gets on ok on the 5th. That'll be good once it's out of the way 

• not sure if it is anti sting but I have been using it right up to my eye and all over my face for a long time and even more so since January this year when things first started.  It is on the make up counter in a white and yellow box. They do 15, 30 and 50 factor it is £14.95 but it is always on 3 for 2.  They also do one which is coloured. I did buy it by mistake and you could use it as a foundation but I didn't like it.  I use Pizz Buin allergy factor 50 on my arms and legs (that is if I dare show them these days as just scared). !! Here for you anytime you want advice xxx

• Ok thanks Harlyn

I'll have a look next time I'm in town.

I know what you mean about not showing arms and legs. I keep everything covered as much as possible now 

• Thank you for all your advice  about the products you have found helpful to use on your face. I had my 6 week check with my dermatologist the day before we went on holiday. He seemed happy with the healing of the scar but suggested i get some silicone gel as it is raised at each end and can still look a bit red. He recommended I tried dermatix, As it didn't arrive in time for our cruise, I stopped using vaseline and slathered Boots Q10 factor 50 sunscreen all over my face which doesn't irritate my eyes, but did make me look  like a ghost! ( I need to try one of your suggestions next!) I also wore an enormous sun hat even on the cloudy days!  My scar seemed to be getting more raised along the whole length and felt very dry so I put  Olay moisturiser  on at night. Home again now and feeling more relaxed after our holiday, i have started using the silicone gel to massage the scar. I am applying more pressure than before as my dermatologist reassured me that scar tissue is very strong. After 3 days I think it is looking a bit flatter so hopefully it will continue to improve. However as the instructions say not to use close to the eyes, I'm a bit worried as the scar is most raised near my right eye. 

• Hi Harlyn

I've just been wondering how your husband is?

• Hi Puckettyboo  Thank you for thinking of us nice to hear from you.  He is doing fine thank you, scar hardly visible now just like a hair on his cheek.  Nothing like ours were !!  We see Consultant in 3 weeks for results, but he has done a brilliant job, but it was more straightforward than ours.  How are you doing.  I am still paranoid about lumps and bumps.  Can stop using sun cream now November to March he said I should be ok, but think I will still put some on if I go out.  Thank you for asking and keep in touch xx

• Hi Harlyn

I'm ok thanks. A bit worried  as I may need a biopsy in corner of eye. Dermatologist saw it a year ago  and it was inconclusive. It's still there but doesn't seem to have grown

Did yours grow at all?

I see head and and neck surgeon in a month and I think he'll discharge me after the surgery on my nose.

It's very hard to  relax about our skin isn't it? Once we've been told there's a high chance of more it can become obsessive 

• Hi Puckettyboo.  The basal cell I had near my eye came up on dermascope as inconclusive so Consultant did biopsy when he did the one near my nose.  The result was it was a basal cell.  Yes it did grow it was like a scab that wouldn't heal and I thought my glasses had caused it.  When I went to have it done, the Consultants first words were "gosh that has grown since I last saw you 6 weeks ago". That is the one I had skin graft done on it and right up to my tear duct.  I do hope they can sort it for you.  We are a right pair aren't we.  Hope all goes well for you. Keep intouch xx