Recent diagnosis

• 19 replies
  • 13 subscribers

I have recently been diagnosed following a hysterectomy and removal of my appendix in January.  A mucinous tumour of appendix had ruptured and caused another tumour of ovary and large cyst. I have been placed on watch and wait by Basingstoke team but told I will require HIPEC and surgery in future. Another CT scan in 6 months. I’m really terrified, unsure what the ‘wait’ might mean and what’s going to happen. Would just be good to talk to others who are also living this right now.

• Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi and a warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community but sorry that you needed to find us and I am especially sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I just dropped by and noticed you've not yet had a reply but I'm sure someone will be along soon to answer your questions.

Although I had a different type of cancer, any cancer diagnosis brings many questions, lots of confusion and stress but talking with other people who are on the same type of journey will help you navigate this rollercoaster.

The Community is organised into dedicated support groups so can I see you have joined our supportive Pseudomyxoma peritonei group, this will be a good place to connect with others navigating the (support of a family member on the) same type of cancer journey.

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs Bx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi, just seen your post. I had surgery and HIPEC last year. How are you doing?  X

• Hi Smudge

I have just read your post and thought your story sounds so much like me! You are not on your own. I had a very similar experience to you back in April 2020. I m having the cytoreduction and HIPEC this August. 
    Hope  your next scan goes well for you xx

• Hi Louise x I’m on watch and wait right now. Bloods are normal so no time line at present. Will need the op and HIPEC at some point. Bit terrifying and always anxious but getting counselling. How are you doing? How was yours discovered and how did surgery and all go? Hope your doing well x would be good to keep in touch x Cathy 

• Hi x great to hear from you. What was your experience? I’m on watch and wait right now. Are you doing ok? Would be good to hear from you and I really hope surgery is a success for you x Cathy 

• Hi Cathy

I had an ultrasound for my liver in Jan 20 and they discovered a huge ovarian cyst. Ovarian cancer was suspected but when I had my hysterectomy in April 20  they found the appendix was mucousy so removed it. Then the histology report showed the problem was the appendix tumour which had caused the ovarian tumour and PMP. Two CT scans later and I only have a small amount of mucus but it’s growing slowly so I am having the cytoreduction and HIPEC this August in Basingstoke. Luckily no symptoms! 

Counting down the days so keeping busy trying to get as fit as I can. Healthy eating and exercise don’t come easy to me! LOL!

Try not to worry. Do one nice thing a day… that’s my mantra! 
    Take care

Kaz xx

• Hi Cathy,

mine was discovered after 8 visits to the GP with a swollen abdomen and changes in bowel and bladder habits. Initially thought it could be ovarian CA, although upon a biopsy the consultant seen the mucus all over my abdomen. He told me he was 99 percent sure it was PMP, then the biopsy results confirmed it. 
    I had the surgery and had work done on my liver, my chest and peritoneum scarped, and lost my ovaries, womb, Fallopian tubes, gallbladder, omentum and appendix. The recovery was up and down but I’d do it again in a heartbeat. I’ve just had my one year post op scan and I remain disease free Purple heart xx

• That’s amazing Louise! You have been through so much and it’s great things are going so well for you. I haven t had any symptoms before my surgery or now. So I really do feel for you as the emotions are hard enough to deal with as well as physical symptoms. Xx

• It’s not been an easy ride, but Im still here. Grateful every day that my surgery was a success. I wish I’d gotten counselling as I’ve not really dealt with the emotional side yet x