My dad has advanced prostate cancer

• 29 replies
  • 113 subscribers

Hi all, 

new to the forum, my dad has been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer and is due to have a TURP operation next Friday (13th), he had an appointment yesterday in which they told him they are suspicious that the cancer has now spread because of how advanced it is although bone scan around 5 weeks ago didn’t show any spread and they want to do a PET scan in the next two weeks. He will be having hormone injections soon and the plan was to also have radiotherapy but not certain that will be the plan of action still if it has spread. 

im 26 and have recently moved an hour away from my parents (unfortunately move in day was the same week the diagnosis was confirmed as advanced) and I just feel helpless. My dad is 69 but generally fit and healthy but I just feel so lost and confused, he is dealing with it well from what he says but with not being around everyday it is hard to tell if that really is the case. 

I suppose I’m just looking for some advice, support and comfort from people who are going through or have been through a similar thing. Xx

• I am on similar path ,my bone scan came back clear but pet scan picked up bone met .

You just have to wait ,which is worst part 

Now I am being treated I feel a bit more in control 

I am advanced but at 67 pretty fit and am going to give it my best shot 

Good luck with your dad 

Now seems the worst time 

WAITING 

• Hi Mal, 

thank you for your response, can I ask what treatments you are undergoing? 

wishing you all the best with your journey x

• I had a month's tablets with zoladex 10.8 implant 2 months back due again in Oct 

Now on from today 4 tablets daily with referral being done to radiologist 

My psa as come down significantly, long may it continue 

Loads of help on here absolutely brilliant people 

• I’m so glad to hear that your PSA has dropped so significantly, any positive is to be celebrated in these circumstances. 

how are you feeling physically? Have you noticed any change in how you feel day to day? 

• Hello  

A warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Prostate Community, although I am so sorry to find you here.

Your dad is in good hands and it's clear that his team are looking after him. Let me split my reply as follow:

* The TURP operation is to help his flow. He will be in hospital at least one night and having had one myself I can confirm it's pain free. (mine was anyway). Our guide to this operation is in this link:

www.macmillan.org.uk/.../transurethral-resection-of-the-prostate

Once he returns home it will be handy if he's doing some pelvic floor exercises to help him increase his flow, again, here's a link:

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/impacts-of-cancer/pelvic-floor-exercises

* Depending on your dad's PET scan the MDT team will decide on his treatment but Hormone Therapy will stop the cancer in it's tracks. It's just a case of waiting for the results of his tests (The "chips" from his TURP operation will also be checked for cancer).

Hormone Therapy has many side effects - the main one being fatigue so dad needs to keep as fit as possible. Not everyone gets all the side effects.

To help us help you do you have dad's PSA results, Gleason Score and TNM staging from his biopsy?

(As an aside you can read my personal journey by clicking on my name or avatar - remember 98% of men with a Prostate cancer diagnosis die WITH it not OF it!).

We are all happy to answer any questions, however trivial they may be.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Millibob, 

thank you for your reply. I have quietly been reading through your posts for a while to give me some reassurance that high it certainly has your positive outlook gives me so much hope in this situation. 

I know that dads PSA was 58.5 but unfortunately don’t have the rest of the information as he has all the paperwork and I’ve recently moved out of our family home which is rubbish timing as you can imagine! 

• Good morning   and welcome. My husband was diagnosed with advanced cancer 4 years ago and is still going strong, as are many others on the forum who were diagnosed further back than that. We have all been through the initial fear and uncertainty of what is to come but in most cases life settles in to a new norm once treatment has started and you have a full diagnosis - it is just the first few weeks which are the most difficult. The hormone therapy your dad is being put on is the first step - this will stop the cancer from getting to its testosterone food supply no matter where the cancer may be in the body. This gives the experts time to sort out a treatment plan tailored for your dad but the first thing to say is that there is no set course, but if it is advanced it could be any combination of hormone therapy, radiotherapy or chemotherapy. To start with I have attached a link to a book which you can download for free which helps explain many things and will hopefully give you a better understanding of what you and the family are facing. Please don't use Dr Google as a lot of the information can be out of date. There have been so many developments in recent years which has opened up new and better ways of treating this cancer plus there is a lot more waiting in the wings.

https://issuu.com/magazineproduction/docs/js_prostate_cancer_guide_for_patients_ezine

Support is available for the whole family if you feel you need it but also why not encourage your dad to join the forum if he thinks it might help him and also give him the link to the book.

Please come back with any questions or worries and we will try and help.

• Hi Alwayshope, 

thank you for reply. It is reassuring to hear that your husband is still going strong, I will be sure to have a read through the book and pass it on to my dad. 

I will keep the thread updated as we know more as having you all as support when you understand what we’re going through is worth it’s weight in gold. X

• Hello  

You are correct - a positive attitude is half the battle, yes we have the odd "down day" but on the whole life is good.

Thank you for providing dad's PSA result - that's a help.

We are all here for you, just keep us posted and ask anything you want.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Well not really just bit more tired and started sweating a bit at night and a bit annoyed it's happening to me but 67 stuff is going to start happening 

Side effects of treatment remain to be seen ,but people on here battle on and motivate others .no doubt there will be bumps on the road ,but it's a road I ain't getting off but would like to stay on here as long as possible. 

Keep us informed and good luck