Please be aware

• 13 replies
  • 114 subscribers

On Tuesday I started a holiday from Manchester Airport.  As we went through security we were directed to a lane which was trialling the new process whereby you don’t have to unload all your electrical items or fluids from your hand luggage. We were told to remove everything from our pockets including tissues.  The new full body scanner is an enhanced 3D piece of kit.  I triggered something and was subject to a frisking; particularly of my crutch.  I was asked if I had anything in my trousers and promptly said, yes, an incontinence pad (following RP). I was whisked off to a private booth where I had to put my hands in the wet pad and then rub them on a “wand” which was then taken away for analysis for drugs.

If you’re like me, left with total incontinence after surgery please be aware of what indignity, and concern to your partner, may await the start of a holiday.

• Hi Huffies.

Perhaps this is something that Macmillan can help with as incontinence pad use must be a fairly common occurrence for people going on holiday. Rather than having to reply to the question in front of everyone in the line a standardized card from a recognised body like Macmillan explaining the medical need would offer more discretion. Another suggestion could be that those with medical needs and their family can go through a separate channel with specially trained staff. I would report the incident to Manchester airport when you get back from your holiday.

After the bad start I hope you have a lovely holiday.

• HI Huffies and Alwayshope there is a scheme called assisted passage where if you have any disability, and cancer is adisability, you get priority access through check in. you ask for it when booking your flight and is free of charge.

Eddie

• Hi Eddie.

My husband has been registered disabled since 1997 and we flew out of the UK on many occasions with a mobility scooter. Yes we got priority access through check in but still had to go through the same security channels as everyone else. Also I found that even though special assist was requested when flight was initially booked I still had to phone the airport the day before taking the flight to ensure that it was actually logged on the system - very often it wasn't. Gatwick supposedly have a lanyard system for vulnerable people - It didn't make any difference to provide the additional support needed. In my experience it was very hit and miss in the UK. By contrast the experience in the foreign airports for special assist passengers was a lot better.

• That's been the experience of friends who book it, it's either great or a waste of time, Just been catching up on your journey and the treatment options ahead and wanted to wish both of you well, take care.

Eddie

• Hello  

I use Manchester Airport 5/6 times a year - indeed I have travelled with an indwelling Catheter - where as you say you are taken to a room - two men examine the catheter and urine bag and you have to rub your hands over the leg bag and it's drug swiped..

Not a great start to any holiday.

Each terminal at Manchester has a help desk or assistance desk - call in there first - tell them of your issues - they will then give you a "sunflower lanyard" this tells the staff you have a "hidden disability". It also clears you for free fast track security and as I found more respect and assistance.

I do hope this helps you and others travelling - I know it's not a great start to any holiday.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• I personally think that was disgraceful, unnecessary and rediculous . I am all for high levels of security but it was not a security issue.  If they were looking for drugs stashed away then they should  use scanners which would detect them or sniffer dogs. Presumably after sticking your hands on urine you had to then pick up your bag? If HM Customs think they are going to do that with everyone who wears a pads then the queues are going to be miles long.

• Ian si sad and sorry that you had to go through this experience. I would certainly be contacting the airport to make my feelings known. Would a letter from your hospital or GP help I got one for my husband saying he needs to carry a large amount vif daralutamide tablets

• Sorry about the spelling I did  it on my phone and don't know to correct it

• Like Shar and others, I am sorry you had to go through this experience. However, I think I would go further and contact the media! I am aware that BBC 1 has been news articles on various aspects of prostate cancer over the years. I am sure they would be interested in this predicament. Also, it’s not just men who have to wear incontinence pads!  I absolutely respect the need for security (I have twice been pulled over for swabs in the last 6 weeks or so!) but it should be carried out with sensitivity.

• Good Morning  - The ability to correct a post by the "more" button has "gone missing" on the mobile phone application in the latest update. I am assured the development team have this matter in hand!

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.