Prostate Cancer, and then..

• 35 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Hello. I'm new to this forum, so hope I start off okay!

Since mid September (2021) I have known of my Prostate cancer, following a PSA level of 6, after a routine blood test by my Asthma nurse.

On October 18th I had my first Hormone injection and knew of the next one, in November.

Meantime, my GP sent me for an MRI Thorax -with Contrast, at a local hospital. This has shown shadows in the lower right lung and a "Glass" something or other, I'm not quite sure, in the left lung. Next, I have an appointment for a P.E.T. CT scan at another hospital, and am told that it is quite likely I have got Cancer in my right lung. A Broncoscapy, which will follow soon, is the next step, I am told. There are two types of Broncoscapy, one has an UltraSound element, for a deeper investigation!

On 30 December (2021) I am before my Thoracic Medicine Consultant, to discuss the findings of the (fuller) P.E.T. CT scan.

It's all a lot to take in, plus most of my Prostate treatment is on hold, except for the Hormone injections, until after my Lung diagnosis. So, I have the Hot Flushes from the Hormones (supressing Testosterone) whilst frequent Coughing at night and trips to the toilet to urinate, leave me with 3 and a bit hours of sleep!

• Yes that was the worst about the MRI scan the darned noise.  They told me to bring a CD to play through the headphones but my CD of Mozart didn't last long enough and was not loud enough to cover the noise of the machine.  Very loud "heavy metal" would have had a job covering the noise!  Oh, and it was so cold in that room glad i had wolly socks on. 

• Hi

my husband was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer in sept 2017, it’s been stable for over 4 years then sept 2021 they found not only was his prostate cancer advancing into more bones rapidly- every vertebrae has cancer and his lumbar region Amd sacral area is pretty bad so he’s had radio. They also found a second primary cancer in his lung. So he’s also had extensive radio therapy for that. Since December his psa rose to 800 Amd he’s started chemo after enzalutamide didn’t work. After 1st chemo his psa is now 2202. We are desperate for it to go down after chemo number 2. His lung cancer is actually on the back burner and not causing an issue at the moment! 
        He also finds coughing, peeing and pain plush hot flushes means little sleep. It’s all so heartbreaking. I really wish you well 

• Wow!! Freefaller…That is so encouraging to know.. thanks for the detail.
    I’m also very sorry for the loss of your brother in law. they teach us so much in going before.

kindest regards,

Louli

• Hi 

My husband was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer in 2017. Then in the summer last year 2021 he had a full mri scan as his psa was rising. They found he also has lung cancer in his upper right lung. He’s had 3 weeks of intensive radio therapy on the lung and they aren’t too worried it’s his prostate cancer that’s out of control at the moment. He had to have both types of bronchoscopy as the first one didn’t work so the one with the ct scan did. They were uncomfortable but he said it wasn’t too bad. 
         We know how you are feeling It’s so hard all the side affects from the treatments are not nice. Wishing you all the best. 

vicki 

• Hi freefaller, I completely agree with you, about the noise emitted by the MRI scanner. I was told that the noise is caused by magnets clashing together (I think) Magnetic Resonance Imiging, is what it stands for!

Nobody told me that you could have "Music" -which would have made a big difference to the start stop routine of that process. I think my session lasted about thirty-five to fourty minutes, and I was very glad when it was over.

I hope everything works out for you. I am now one week past my Radiotherapy for Prostate cancer (twenty sessions) and feeling the side-effects, that leave me flat-bound for a week or more -not including one afternoon when I had to go and shop. I almost got home, when my bowels let me down and I was unable to prevent a humiliating soiling of my underwear, despite wearing a rather thick pad down there.

The hospital have called me up for a followup appointment with a nurse, but I had to turn it down, explaining that I'm having problems with my bowels. Likewise, I had to rearrange my booster Covid jab for the 28th October -not ideal, as my underlying health problems make me vulnerable to C-19. A flu jab must also be had soon, as well.

And I thought that the main problem was getting past Radiotherapy! Seems like I will be struggling on for some time yet!

Take care all, keep fighting for your healths.