Prostate Cancer, and then..

• 35 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Hello. I'm new to this forum, so hope I start off okay!

Since mid September (2021) I have known of my Prostate cancer, following a PSA level of 6, after a routine blood test by my Asthma nurse.

On October 18th I had my first Hormone injection and knew of the next one, in November.

Meantime, my GP sent me for an MRI Thorax -with Contrast, at a local hospital. This has shown shadows in the lower right lung and a "Glass" something or other, I'm not quite sure, in the left lung. Next, I have an appointment for a P.E.T. CT scan at another hospital, and am told that it is quite likely I have got Cancer in my right lung. A Broncoscapy, which will follow soon, is the next step, I am told. There are two types of Broncoscapy, one has an UltraSound element, for a deeper investigation!

On 30 December (2021) I am before my Thoracic Medicine Consultant, to discuss the findings of the (fuller) P.E.T. CT scan.

It's all a lot to take in, plus most of my Prostate treatment is on hold, except for the Hormone injections, until after my Lung diagnosis. So, I have the Hot Flushes from the Hormones (supressing Testosterone) whilst frequent Coughing at night and trips to the toilet to urinate, leave me with 3 and a bit hours of sleep!

• Just what I was going to post but you have beaten me to it!  Some people use Sage tablets for hot flushes as well as Evening Primrose but if they don't work you can get prescription medication.

• Had a good chat with the Consultant, today. He believes that my lung problem may be (just) a Pea, or small food object, sucked into the lung! Though it's been nearly two years since my cough got bad. The Broncoscopy goes ahead, in the new year -however. So, hopefully, I will be able to start Radiotherapy on my Prostate cancer, before too long, that will be something posative.

Happy new year to all.

• That’s a bit of a relief for you Kevin and they will likely be able to get it out with bronchoscope 

Onwards and upwards for 2022!!

• Yes Louli, hopefully all will be okay.

Broncoscopy (just booked) will be on 11 January.

Next year, but it is quite nearSweat smile

Good news is sweet.

• On Tuesday 11th January 2022, I had the EBUS Broncoscopy.

I, for one, found the experience pretty stressful, from when they put the numbing spray into my mouth and throat, plus the small plastic tube into my mouth, to them requesting me (half conscious) could I try to stop coughing. Let me say that while someone's performing a proceedure, with an EBUS Broncoscope (I believe it's called, there is no-way on Earth that I could prevent myself coughing, as my lungs are trying to regect this foreign tool (perfectly legitimately and with my consent) from doing it's investigation.

Two days later, I am still remembering the central part of the Broncoscopy proceedure and hoping that I don't ever have to go through that again. Now the wait for my follow-up consultation with my consultant, on 3rd February -confirming (I hope) that I do not have lung cancer!

Next week, my Prostate Urology consultant, is phoning me, I assume to find out how likely I will be able to re-commence preperations for Radiotherapy on my Prostate tumour. I do hope that will be the case!

In answer to (I hope) the Hot Flushes, the hospital has given me a bottle of Calamine lotion, to dab on my skin when Hot Flushes strike, which I know they will.

Good health louli.

Kevin1958.

• Oh for goodness sake’s Kevin… that’s awful!! To be honest I think some people become desensitised to the patient’s trauma during some of these procedures.

. I had a full blown panic attack once in the confined space of a CT scanner. It was horrible and the radiographer was severely lacking in empathy. 

I sincerely hope you get positive news and thanks for the tip about calamine lotion!!

best,

louli

• Talking of scans louli.

I found the MRI scanner to be worse. I't claustraphobic (like CT) but it's the noise. The MRI scanners have magnets (inside them) as part of the image creation and when the scanner is running it's several (few minute) scans, it creats such a racket. The technician gave me foam ear-plugs, but the machine still emits a hell of a racket.

Give me CT over MRI (if there's a choice) any time.

I'm off to dab some Calamine lotion. My Hot Flush is going again.

Best regards,

Kevin.

• I wasn't going to say anything about the broncoscopy as it would probably have put you off having it and worried you had I given you my wife's experience.  Like you she said she would never willingly go through that again and as it happened they couldn't access the part of the lung they needed to anyway.  Again we found that the people concerned were lacking in empathy and even experience as a lot of other tests had to be done again - a full waiting room and half of them had to have peak flow tests and lung capacity tests redone as the nurse didn't know how to use the machinery.  At the time our hospital only had 1 full time and 1 part time respiratory consultant between 3 counties.  The poor full time consultant and his nurse went around all the hospitals for one day a week as the part time consultant had actually come out of retirement to help but refused to move from his local general hospital unless there was an emergency.  In the end we went privately and then got special dispensation to go to Manchester  University's North West Lung Centre at Wythenshawe Hospital where the people are very, very good indeed.

Anyway that's another story and I hope you get good news from this.