Should I move home parent has advanced cancer and lives alone.

• 2 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hello 

If someone has advanced prostate cancer and has had radiation therapy is on hormone tablets and enzalutamide tablets. Says they are okk and all good no pain or side effects and can carry on as normal don't worry. Tablets will give an extra 2 years so all good. Stay were you are and just come at weekends to visit 

Is this correct will they be ok. Tablets can cause falls and lot of side effects.

Dad has cancer and thinking of moving closer to him fir support and help if needs it. 

Question is how quick should I move as been offered a years position in New job. 

• Hi, it's an unanswerable question, I'm afraid. Depending on the detail of his diagnosis and stage, he may stay well for years, even with advanced PCa. Prostate cancer is (relatively) slow-moving, but  things can move fast in the later stages.

If he's only recently started the tablets, 2 years doesn't sound at all unreasonable, so long as he's as well as he says he is, and doesn't have other significant health issues.

The tablets do have a fair number of possible side effects, but they vary a lot from person to person, and most people get through them.

Sorry to be so vague, but my crystal ball needs a new battery  Slight smile. The main thing is to keep in touch with him.

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• I agree with Heinous.  Keep in touch and go out - when you can, covid restrictions allowing for little treats and spend quality time together.  Now is the time to make the most of the time that you have together.  There may come a time when you may have to move closer or take a sabbatical to go home and help care for your Dad but for now it is probably best to carry on as you are as he would probably be upset if he thought he had caused you to miss out on a good career move.  That is only my take on this you must do what you feel is right for the two of you.

All the best and keep in touch so we know how you and Dad are getting on.