Five fraction treatment at Leed

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Hi everybody has anyone in the group had the five fraction treatment at Leeds

• I guess you mean radiotherapy? I had 20 fractions of external beam radiotherapy at St James's, if there's anything specific you would like to know let me know and I'll answer as best I can.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • I went to Royal Marsde Hospital to see if this was the right treatment for me - I would have had to pay to have this privately as at the time this was not available in Wales - not sure if it is now.  The Doc I spoke with didn't think that I would have any different outcome between having this treatment or the 20 fractions I eventually had on the NHS - in fact with with my bladder problems - which predate the PCa by about 15 years he thought the 20 fractions over a month would be better in my case.  Presume you have no other problems so this must be just right for you - I wish it had been OK for me too .  Not sure if anyone on here has had this. but hope that someone will come along with experience.  If your Doc feels that this is right for you then it must be and going on what the consultant at the Marsden told me it is just as good as other external beam radiotherapy but you get it all over much quicker with the same good results.  So presumably your life can get back to normal much quicker too. 

All the best.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

Thanks for the reply,excuse me for asking did u have any erectile disfunction after the treatment?

• As I was also put on Hormone Therapy (HT) for 6 months before and 3 months after the Radiotherapy - including the 1 month of radiotherapy I had to wait until about another 6 months as the hormones left my body gradually before everything was normal as regards erections.  However, things got better slowly as the Hormones left my body and by 9 months after stopping the HT things were back to normal.   This surprised me as I thought it would take longer.  As far as I know the radiotherapy didn't have that much effect and if it did it went away in the time the HT also left my body.