Tightness feeling in lower tummy after radiotherapy

• 4 replies
  • 110 subscribers

I have just had my first treatment of 20 scheduled for my prostate cancer. 12 hours after I have a feeling of tightness similar to a low grade cramp and have noticed a reduction in my urine pressure. Is this a common reaction ? I was surprised to get this reaction so early on.

Thanks, Dougie

• I didn't experience this, suggest it's best to ask when you go for the next daily treatment. At least they will then be aware and can keep an eye on things as necessary.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • Yes it's common reaction but as excavator says not usually after the first treatment. I had the problem in week 3 of 4 but told the staff and was given Tamsulosin which sorted it out very quickly. I stayed on the Tamsulosin for a couple of months after RT finished and then gradually weaned off it following the advice of my GP.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Thanks folks, I feel more assured about it now.  Went for second therapy today 7 hours ago and no reaction so far. They gave me a prescription for the above.

Dougie

• Have had 11 sessions of radiotherapy so far with no further problems. Have been taking one 400 mg Tamurex a day with excellent result on flow rate. 

Dougie