Incontinence after RP

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi all

I am 73 and after almost 3 years on active surveillance had Prostatectomy 7+ weeks ago. Recovery going well and have recovered energy level almost as before. I walk a lot and am now doing about 4km daily, aiming to get back to what was 10k+ in the next couple of weeks. The biggest issue is incontinence which is starting to annoy me! A couple of times I have thought it was starting to diminish but then it goes backwards again. Am almost dry some nights but during the day it frequently feels like the great flood. So any advice or even commiserations would be welcome.

Alan

• I can sympathise.  I had this problem before prostate cancer as I have a weak bladder and as I have got older things got worse then prostatitis and then pc at 73.  I still have to get up 3 times a night (for me that has been normal for decades) and have the occasional accident during the day too.  I wear pads.  Our Health Authority provides pads so I get some delivered about once every 2 months.  I did kegel exercises during and after PC treatment which I think stopped things getting any worse after treatment than they had been before.  Speak to your GP and your cancer centre as it is still quite soon after your operation and we don't heal so quickly at our age as we did even just a decade younger.  Keep doing the exercises too but it may be a good idea if you could be referred to a physiotheraist to ensure that you are doing the kegel exercises correctly.  There is also medication you could be given to help but I presume you are already on medication - if not ask.

here's hoping things will get better in time.

All the best

Des

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to freefaller

Thanks Des. I know that it takes longer to heal as we age - I guess I am just impatient! I am doing the kegel exercises and the walking seems to help also. I might follow your advice about the physio - just to be sure I am correct in what I am doing. Really do not want to go down the medication route - i have always tried to avoid any drugs in my system!

• Hi Alan,

First of all, commiserations. I had my prostate surgery in early December and for about the first three months after my catheter was removed I had serious urinary incontinence. I was getting through a lot of pads. However, I kept doing my kegel exercises as recommended and I have found that things have generally got better. I am now 6.5 months after surgery, and although I am still using pads it's more for confidence that necessity, I am down to a few drips a day, and almost completely dry at night (though I do get up to pee at least once every night). I hope this gives you some hope that things should improve over time. (If things really don't improve, you must discuss things with a health professional.)

It's great that you are getting your pre-surgery energy levels back, you're doing better than I am in that way!

All the best "Angus P" (not my real name)

• Hello alhod.

My experience is that some days are more leaky than others, but some things seem to make it worse - alcohol & caffeine are the ones that get mentioned a lot. I'm on mostly decaff coffee and teas and it has seemed the days after I have 'normal' teas/coffees that I'm more leaky.  And when the muscles are tired, e.g. after & during longer walks. So maybe when you have a less-good day think back and see if it could be one of those reasons, as if you can see a cause then you could consider whether you want to change something...or just be prepared for it.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Array

Thanks Array

Your comments are welcome, echoing as they do much that I have already learned myself. The exercises seem to help but it is a slow process. I agree about the decaff drinks and have switched to only drinking decaff tea but coffee just isn't the same so I treat myself once a day to a "proper" coffee - and then pay the price!

Interestingly I read on a US site somewhere that walking actually helps to strengthen the pelvic muscles and as I walk a lot (although not as much since the op) I chose to follow that one and I do not think a long walk (5km) makes it any worse at all.

Guess it is just a case of hunkering down and trying to be patient while the bdy catches up with the new physiology!

Alan

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to AngusP

Hi Angus P

Sorry, looks like I missed replying to your post earlier. Your comments are much appreciated and give some cause for hope! I am now just over two months on so in your terms it is early days. I am starting to see some signs of improvement but still a long way to go - just hang on in there I guess!

Thanks again

Alan