Husband has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hi all 

my 58 year old hubby has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer that has spread to his bones It’s been a whirlwind week has had severe back ache for a couple of moths drs treating him for that had blood test last Friday and his platelets where 20 and hemogolin very low 2 blood transfusion 5 days in hospital waiting for our appointment next week with the doctors not at all what we where expecting .

so I suppose I am asking anyone what questions do I need to ask they are saying it’s treatable but not curable 

we don’t have any staging or levels due to have a biopsy what waiting for platelets to go up has had a hormone injection in stomach

he is still in a lot of pain and is sleeping most of the time 

thanks for any advice 

• Hi SS

Sorry to have to welcome you here,

How do they know that it's PC and has spread to his bones?

Sounds like there is no biopsy or MRI been done,  Is  there a high psa?

Regards

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Sunsarah, I was diagnosed with exactly the same thing 3 years ago, I was told it was told it was not cureable but treatable, at first my diagnosis was 3-6 months well since then I have had chemo and radiotherapy, my PSA is now down to 1.6 I am currently taking Aberiterone tablets which are working well except they do make you very tired, as well as that I have a Prostrap injection every 3 months plus steroids, so theres treatments out there that will help you an hubby just dont be afraid to ask for them, I,m slightly younger than your hubby I,m 56 so hopefully we are both young enough to put up a battle, my advice will be to try an stay as positive as you can, because I believe a Positive Mental Attitude can help get you through all this, please feel free if you have questions to ask as I dont mind answering them if I can. Stay strong an Positive an chat soon. Best Wishes Eddie.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

He had an ct scan whilst in hospital can’t do biopsy because they are worried about his clotting x think they where originally looking for a blood disorder bone marrow biopsy done Where with haematology now with urology just read his discharge and psa>1000 

has had a dose of degarelix 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thankyou for your reply Eddie we are ready to fight think you only pick up on the negative when you first hear the news I am glad you are doing so well gives me hope 

• Sarah

Ok, sorry to hear this but Eddie is a good example of someone who has incurable PC but thankfully is still here 3 years on & seems to be doing ok.

So there is hope out there, he just needs to start on a good treatment plan

With best wishes

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

My husband was diagnosed over 3 years ago with PSA 1303 following severe back pain. Once treatment started he was gradually able to come off all pain killers. He had HT and early Chemo which brought PSA down to 1.1. Unfortunately it then started going up again so he's had other treatments. Now on Enzolutamide which seems to have worked for over 6 months. We found things easier once treatment started.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thankyou for your reply hospital Thursday to discuss treatment plan I just hope the pain gets under control