Moobs! Maybe?

• 6 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Hi, On Bicalutamide and Tamoxifen for 13 weeks, due RT in December, I regularly run and I am now beginning to reflect the side effects in my times, that is to be expected. The advice is to keep exercising does anyone know if protein supplements would help maintain muscle mass when on Hormones?

Also I am not certain if I am growing moobs or just putting on fat. I am beginning to feel fat at the breast area just towards the armpit. Do breasts grow from the middle, I have no nipple changes at all. 

Jay

• Hello  

Welcome to my world!! As a Macmillan volunteer I can't comment on protein supplements.

However if you think you are starting to grow a pair of "moobs" (I have a cracking set!) there is treatment you can get from your GP or Cancer Team to stop this - but from memory you need to start it ASAP.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

•   Hi Brian have left a messages with nurses so will talk to them Monday, thanks

• Hi  , I've been running quite a lot prior to HT, and found running on its own was not sufficient to keep muscle once on HT. My times were decreasing weekly and my muscles were fading. I've had to shift my training to be a lot more resistance focused. I now train at the gym twice a week, one of which is with a personal trainer. I also drink a protein shake after every workout. It's not as much fun as running, but it did the job in retaining muscles. I still run but fewer times a week, slower than before and shorter distances, as HT killed my stamina.

Moobs are growing too, though haven't pursued treatment for that yet.

Hope this helps

G

• Hello Gents

I was out before so couldn't check my resources.

Breast growth in males is gynecomastia. The main medication prescribed to stop this is Tamoxifen but you do need to see your GP or team to sort this out ASAP as any growth will not reduce as you come off hormone therapy.

I hope the above helps.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

•  Hi Brian on Tamoxifen so hopefully I am overthinking 'puppy fat' at my age ha ha. I hope the nurse confirm that and don't need more.

Julian

• That's really helpful thankyou.