Surgery or Radiotherapy? Decision made!

• 286 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Decision made.  I’m pT3a, N0 M0 (see my profile for details ).  My extensive research points to a combo treatment of HT / RT / Brachy (NHS and NICE approved).  MDT met again a couple of days ago and their recommendation (without my input) was the same.  I had a consultation at Addenbrookes yesterday with a top prostatectomy surgeon and he agreed with me that my decision was the best one, as surgery would carry at least a 30% chance of recurrence.  So I collected my prescription on way out!   I took my first bicalutamide tablet taken this morning…..so the treatment is underway. Just over 62 days (NHS target) since GP referral so well done to them after a thorough diagnosis.  I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders with regards to timelines (chasing the NHS, politely!), but I’m under no illusion that the next few months of treatment will present challenges.  My wife and I are a strong team and we intend to take everything in our stride and, hopefully, this curative pathway will prevail.  Here we go…..wish us luck! 

• Hi Alpine Wanderer. Good to hear that the decision is made and treatment has started. I vividly recall the prostate cancer nurse telling my husband that the as soon as he took the first tablet the cancer would be stopped from spreading. I’m not sure whether this is scientifically proven but it sure was reassuring at the time!  I hope all goes well for you and the end result is another C ….CURE!!!!

• Good Morning AW

Well another bit of good news - As someone once said " that's one small step for man a giant leap for mankind". It's the start of a whole new journey and with a destination that as WW says is "Cure".

I wish you well and hope you don't get all the side effects of the MANopause - 21 months in I have no problems with my side effects and still 2 more 6 monthly injections to go - PSA down to 0.438 and I feel amazing!

Good luck with everything and best wishes to the pair of you on this journey - keep up with the exercise and you will be fine.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

•   

Great news that you have a treatment plan. I was also T3A N0 M0 and chose HT/RT over surgery (I wasn't offered Brachytherapy). I'm now two years post treatment and my PSA has been stable at 0.2 for that time, so currently in remission.

Please keep in touch as your treatment progresses and ask any questions you might have.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • We love good news on here and long may it continue, as these HT treatments could mean we guys have our Xmas topless calendar out , I’m January then

Cheers , Jonny mac

• Ha - Ha - I can be February and March!!   - Just be careful out there folks - I have had a vision I didn't want.JoyJoy.

Community Champion badge

• Haha - you can tell it’s Friday “happy hour” !  We’ve opened a bottle of fizz - why not?  It’s called “laughing in the face of the Devil” 

• Good on you. Apart from the "normal" rules on Alcohol I only gave it up for 33 days when I had my radiotherapy - and do you know - I didn't miss it!

Cheers - you enjoy it - best wishes to you both.

Community Champion badge

• We could do charity one lol , I’m banned off my tipple voddy red bulls , as been on them years and ended up in Hossy last September with pancreatitis attack ( if anyone has had this pain it is one of worst pains I’ve ever encountered and that includes Crohn’s flare up pains ) three bloody days and nights and no morphine or and pain killers took it away ) so out came gall bladder , but still told off no red bull ! I’ve now substituted it with lucazade, so similar taste lol 

Cheers , Jonny mac

• Rofl I will be November as its my birth month!

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi Brian

I was, mainly, a good boy and didn't imbibe when having the sunbed treatment. I also didn't miss it, but I think that, in part, it was because I was so focused on the process. Doing the 'right thing' in the hope of the best outcome.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!