Preparation for surgery

• 36 replies
  • 135 subscribers

I have a date for my RALP, 2 weeks! It's come a little quicker than I'd thought and looking for advice. I am anxious about the catheter to begin with. What tends to be provided on discharge? I'm considering getting some sort of fixation device? Has anyone used these or do you tend to leave hospital with one? 

I'm thinking I'll leave hospital with catheter bags etc so not sure what else will be helpful, apart from kegels, baggy pants, laxatives and a bucket! 

Any advice on what might be useful will be gratefully accepted.

Thank you 

Robert 

• Hi Robert

My husband ( aged 60) had his RALP on 10th July. As the date drew nearer it became much more of a reality and “what ifs “. But once the day came it was full steam ahead with a positive mindset and a “let’s get this done” 

He was in hospital ( Wirral area) at 07.30am and was first in list - so by the time the staff had done their paperwork / observations / preliminary checks he was ready for theatre at 9-15am 

Petes op lasted 5.5 hrs as he had tricky scar tissue from repeated infections over past year - everyone is different so try not to worry about operation time

He has 6 small scars from surgery which have healed beautifully 

He was discharged home the next day . He was given

anti Embolism stockings to wear for 4 weeks post surgery 

28 days worth of enoxaparin sub- cut injections ( to  reduce risk of clots) and a sharps box - the hospital showed Pete how to give himself these injections - really straightforward 

cather was to be in situ for 14 days so was given 14 single use night bags and one day bag ( day bag needs changing after 7days) 

supply of laxatives ( senna and lactulose ) 

pain relief of codeine and paracetamol 

There was no district nurse involvement - in our area you are provided with information leaflets and contact numbers if there are any issues 

On the second day home Pete received a supply of 6 packs of continence pads ( 30 pads in each pack ) 

He had his catheter removed on 24th July. To date still requires continence pads across 24 hrs 

one of the members of this group recommended the Prostate Cancer UK group - you can apply for a free pack for post surgery - I really recommend this pack ! 

We also have a orthotex pillow which Pete finds really helpful to sit on post surgery due to discomfort in his rear end post surgery

its still early days in his recovery process - everyone’s different 

next step is review with consultant which is generally 7 weeks post surgery ( once they have had an MDT ) to discuss results from biopsies taken during surgery - and to review his PSA level - this will be done before consultant review 

Pete still certain he made the right choice to go for RALP - it was right for him 

Good Luck with your surgery - sending you lots of positive thoughts xxxxx

• I remember Huffies did a brilliant post 4 months ago which you might find helpful.

Pads and what you need to know 

Please let us know how you get on and all the best for 2 weeks time.

• Thank you so much Mrsjmb! As it gets nearer my mind goes into overdrive. You have answered everything there! I'll likely look into the pillow! Best wishes for Pete's continued recovery!  
  • Robotic prostatectomy today! Surgeon said it went as planned with left sided nerve sparing. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a bleeder which added to the process. I was in 4.5 hours! 23.00, comfortable so far. Eaten, drinking and been out of bed. I was a bit uncomfortable with my first steps due to abdominal pain but home tomorrow.

• All the best for a speedy recovery  but please let us know how you get on and, of course, come back with any questions.

•   

I can sense the relief in your message, and can imagine you sitting in your hospital bed writing it! All the very best for a trouble-free recovery period ThumbsupThumbsup    AW

• Hi  , such a relief to get out of hospital, so best of luck today.  Recovery starts now. Heart️  David

• Great your home look after yourself and take it easy Ok hand

• Great to be home! Grin 

• Nothing like your own bed and surroundingsThumbsup