56 year old husband diagnosed with prostate cancer

• 51 replies
  • 133 subscribers

Hi everyone, so bit different as community arranged for one of these pop up voluntary PSA testing centres in November last year so my sister’s and I thought it would be a good idea to book husband’s in (ages ranging from 56 to 59) No symptoms what so ever so shocked when my husband’s results came back with reading of 7.9. The last two months he’s had two DRE’s, an MRI and finally biopsy on 4th Jan. Results now confirmed as Gleason score 7 (3 & 4), T2 possibly a T3a, N0, M0 so luckily caught early. He’s been offered two choices radiotherapy or radical prostatectomy. On Monday we spoke to Oncologist re Brachytherapy who actually thinks radical prostatectomy is more advisable for his circumstances, due to age and good health/fitness. Husband was actually swaying towards Brachytherapy before this meeting and now head spinning a bit. Radical prostatectomy all seems a bit scary. Hoping maybe anyone can help with sharing their experiences of surgery and the dreaded side effects, especially being incontinent and erectile dysfunction. 
Thanks for reading x

• Some key points for pre/post op:

- don't overdrink water before and after; take some energy drinks in with you and balance between the two.

- take shorts and a tee shirt.

- when you are collected from the hospital ensure that whoever gets takes a pillow from home to put between you and the seatbelt as you will feel every pothole.

- phone Colonplast Charter for some bits and pieces for the catheter. The phone number is 0800 132787. They are great people and will deal with your GP and dispatch the material to you by courier. Have your NHS number handy. The 500 ml day bag you are discharged with is just that - to be used during the day and thrown away after 2-3 days. You need the following:

Simpla S2 non-drainable night drainage bag (2 litres).

You swap the Day bag over to the night bag when you go to bed. It sits by the side of the bed. In the morning you swap back to the Day bag and you dispose of the Night bag in your black bin.

A Night Stand - this is for the above and holds the Night bag by your bed.

Simpla Day Leg Bag (500 ml). You should change the bag every 2-3 days.

Elasticated leg bag strap (for the day bag).

Simpla G-Strap 50cm.

• Live Happy,

The best piece of advice I had after being diagnosed was "Don't think further ahead than your next appointment, try to concentrate on today."

After my diagnosis my mind was racing all over the place "What if this happens...What if that happens"

It was a guy at the Men's Cancer support meeting who told me that.

It helped to put an end to a lot of heartache.  Still lots of crying, a lot of the time I didn't know why.

Staying in work was like therapy for me.  It kept my mind occupied, something to concentrate on.

Whatever you choose, hope it all goes smoothly.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Hiya, ok thanks for that. Most helpful x

• Hi Steve, thanks for that piece of advice. We’re trying to stay positive but easier said than done. He’s going for pre assessment on Monday and then told operation possibly on 9th March, will be confirmed today I think. Feeling very real now! 

• Hi, It sounds like your husband has a great woman supporting him.

It's being there for him, listening and having a good shoulder to cry on.

This was what helped me enormously.

He will need it with the surgery coming up.

Hope the surgery goes well.

Steve (SteveCam)

• I've been away from this forum for a few months and have only just read your post. Having read the ensuing posts it seems clear that decisions have been made, so I was unsure whether to post, but I just want you to be informed as possible, so here's my story.

My diagnosis was 18 months ago - then aged 64, reasonably fit with localised T2 PC on the right side. My Gleason score was 7 and unfortunately a 4+3. My grade group was 3.  

I was told that surgery was the best option and was being heavily persuaded to take that route.  However, I wanted to look at every option, so got referrals to UCL & Royal Surrey. Discussed RT, Brachy & HIFU as alternatives to surgery with 3 different consultants and really got the best answers from Prof. Langley at Royal Surrey, simply because he has been there and been at the 'coal face' of all these treatments including surgery, so I got a balanced opinion tailored to my diagnosis.

It's not important what treatment I had, suffice to say that I am a year on, no additional side effects, negligible PSA and in training for the Camino di Santiago (700 mile walk).

I could have so easily been pushed into surgery, but so glad I went through the multi consultation route to arrive at what for me, so far, has been a fantastic outcome.

• I suppose all hospitals are different, I had mine done at Leicester General and they gave me everything that was needed, day & overnight bags, pads, plasters, even the staple removal tool to give to the nurse, I haven’t needed to ask for anything, only to buy the Tena pads. Good point about the pillow for the journey home. I was also told to drink plenty of water before and after, so just shows how hospitals differ !

• Thanks for your kind words x

• Hi, thanks for your message. Who knows for sure if you’ve made the right decision? I guess only time will tell. I think my husband has decided that robotic surgery is the best solution for him. We’ve obviously listened to the advice from reputable surgeons etc backed up with research and finally just listening and reading other peoples experiences but the end decision has to be his. I’m so pleased your treatment was the right decision for you and brilliant news on your recovery a year on.  I wish you all the best x

• That's the problem with PC, there is no cure, so you never know if you made the right decision.  I am glad your husband & you are happy with the advice you have been given and have consulted with others. It's such a difficult decision.  I guess mine was finally decided on quality of life, not quantity of life.  

I also lost a friend this week to PC, who did not consult and did his own thing, so I guess I am on a bit of a mission to make sure people get the best advice.

Wishing your husband a successful operation and speedy recovery x