RT 6 sessions over 6 weeks 36gy Jacob journey

• 28 replies
  • 125 subscribers

Hi All,

AH BarryW and Eddiel all suggested that I will share Jacob journey with the RT so other people can benefit.

Quick general background: Jacob diagnosed 6 months ago with advanced PC to nodes and pelvic bones. All the details on the profile. He is on HT with Zoladex injection and Enzalutamide.

Side effects are tolerable. Fatigue and bad hot flushes. All was going well, he is active, avid swimmer and we both get lots of help from this community.

On Thursday he started the RT which is EBRT, once a week for 6 weeks, only to the primer tumor.

We have been told to follow the instructions carefully, enema 2 hours before and drink 4 glassed of water exactly 40 mins before the treatment. On the dot of 40 mins before, Jacob drink the 4 glasses in succession  within 5 mins.

40 mins gone by, an hour gone by and then very politely I asked what is happening. We were told he is next. He was admitted over an hour after the 40 mins gone. 1 hour and 40 mins after drinking the water. When on the sunbed he was told his bladder is too full. Of course it is, because the time lapsed. He was told to pee into  2 cups to empty the bladder by half. So he did and had the treatment. He was told he can carry on swimming no problem there and also he can eat whatever he likes just not alcohol which he does not drink anyway. As he allowed to swim, he swam on Friday.

No problem on Thursday or Friday. This morning I woke up at 5am my usual and Jacob saying he cannot pee. So I cannot deal with anything when I wake up, need 15 mins to focus.  

The next two hours were much better and with lots of water the peeing processing started to ease. Not normal but there is a slow flow.

The oncologist nurse call us back to reassure and said that only if he cannot pee or strong pain we should go to A&E.

Sorry Eddie for this long post, promise the update will be much shorter.

Lots of love to everyone 

Dafna

• Hey Dafna ( )

Cracking post and very helpful for anyone heading in that direction  - as usual you are a great help to anyone on the Community starting off on this Journey.

Many thanks for your "reporting" keep it up - Best wishes - Brian Thumbsup

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Daphna, no need to apologise my memory retraining is going well and i had no problem with your wonderful post, the one thing i thought strange was the 1 hour delay to start RT as when i had mine, the guys with prostate cancer were always seen on time, though good to see Jacob sailed through. take care.

Eddie xx

• Hi Dafna great post and very helpful for us awaiting RT,take care 

• Morning All,

Short update. This morning the problem repeat. No pee. We now know it will get better and indeed within an hour he could pee with slow flow. Believe it or not, he went to the pool as for Jacob, he believes that keep moving will solve everything. And it also helps with mental health. Cross fingers he will manage to swim.

Lots of love

Dafna

• Hi great news I’ve been my morning walk already xx

• morning Daphna, It's great Jacob has gone swimming, I'm with him exercise is so important for your wellbeing, both physical and mental. Doing nothing is no good for anyone, If Jacob's peeing problem continues maybe talk to someone about it, Hope you are well, take care.

Eddie xx

• Good morning Dafna.

Swimming is one of the best exercises and it is good that they have said it is OK. Make sure Jacob has something gentle like Dove to wash the chlorine off and keep the area moisturised. Is Jacob doing his pelvic floor exercises? He should certainly ask about the early morning urination problems as there are a battery of things which might help. Keep us up to date on progress.

• Hi AH,

Your are a star! I always thought that the pelvic floor exercises are only for a leaking problem. I am on it right now. We will talk to the radiographers tomorrow regarding the early morning problem.

Thank you

Lots of love

Dafna

• Good Morning Dafna ( )

As if by magic - details of "Pelvic Floor Exercises - just click on this link:

https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org/our-publications/all-publications/pelvic-floor-muscle-exercises

Best wishes - Brian

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you Brian!!

xxx