Just my luck

• 11 replies
  • 128 subscribers

Hi all

Well started my first round of docetaxel 24th April, then on Monday morning my temperature soared to 38.5, phone call to Christie’s who phoned Salford A and E taxi down there, then after blood tests found I had sepsis, there was Dorothy red and white blood cells. So I was put in a room on one of those horrible trolles and left for seventeen hours with my wife, until a private room was found.

so I’m still here for a few more days, I have thrush as well as an infection, given drips ever six hours, got more holes in me than I can count but at least slowly getting better, although sleep is a devil two hours since I’ve been here.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hello Joe (  

Wow that some reaction from your first round of Chemo. I am so sorry to read your post - all I can say is at least you have a private room and you are getting better.

I am also under Christies (although I do deal with Manchester I am looked after by the team at The Christie Oldham) and I find the care second to none.

If you or Mrs Joeven require any extra help or support please feel free to ring the Support Line on 0808 808 00 00 (8am to 8pm 7 days a week) There's also a big Macmillan Centre just inside the main entrance at Salford Royal who should be able to offer support.

Best wishes to you and your wife for a speedy recovery and a return home - keep your chin up and keep posting - we are all with you here and we value your posts and helpful information you bring to other Community members..

Kind Regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Sending best wishes for a good recovery x

• Hi Joe, so sorry to hear how poorly you have been but, despite the sleep issue, you are in the safest place for now. You can never take any risks with sepsis - has to be attacked head on. I hope you soon feel heaps better and able to go home! Love, hugs and best wishes for a quick recovery.

• Hi

yep thought I was going home, then last night my temperature went to 38.9 so I was going nowhere after that, thank you for the kind messages like I say I might be tottering a bit wobbly legs but I will take anything they give me.

If any new chemo starters read this I’ve mentioned many times take your temperature twice a day.

Stay safe

Joe

• So sorry to hear that you have an unplanned holiday in hospital but you are in the safest place at the moment. I would invest in earplugs and an eye mask for the duration.

I wish you a speedy recovery so that you can go home and get a proper rest.

• Hi Joe ( ), have only just picked up your post.  Sorry to hear about your bad reaction and hope you are on the mend.  So this is your second set of chemo using Docetaxel, wow,  how many rounds are they planning?  Best wishes. David

• Hello Joe  I have only just seen your post and sorry to hear you have been admitted into hospital I hope they get on top of things fast and you are soon home. The one thing the oncology nurse kept saying when my husband had chemo was to check temperature twice a day. Me being me made him do it more frequently. Keep us posted 

• Hi all

I’m back home at last, my appetite was something to be desired while in hospital. Apart from sepsis which they say could have been covid ? I caught thrush as well, even trying to drink water, my mouth felt it was on fire. Well all cleared up now, lost about five kilos in hospital, not up to eating properly yet, taste buds shot, but baby steps, I’m home watching my hair come out in chunks, my wife’s getting the hair clippers out later, going to do an all over my head touch. 
    well only nine more sessions to go.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Joe

Great news that you are home, although so sorry to read of the other issues. A bit worrying if the hospital can't tell the difference between Sepsis and CovidFearful.

Good luck with the remaining 9 sessions.. To quote the song "Things can only get better"

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks for the update and so pleased you are home