56 year old husband diagnosed with prostate cancer

• 51 replies
  • 137 subscribers

Hi everyone, so bit different as community arranged for one of these pop up voluntary PSA testing centres in November last year so my sister’s and I thought it would be a good idea to book husband’s in (ages ranging from 56 to 59) No symptoms what so ever so shocked when my husband’s results came back with reading of 7.9. The last two months he’s had two DRE’s, an MRI and finally biopsy on 4th Jan. Results now confirmed as Gleason score 7 (3 & 4), T2 possibly a T3a, N0, M0 so luckily caught early. He’s been offered two choices radiotherapy or radical prostatectomy. On Monday we spoke to Oncologist re Brachytherapy who actually thinks radical prostatectomy is more advisable for his circumstances, due to age and good health/fitness. Husband was actually swaying towards Brachytherapy before this meeting and now head spinning a bit. Radical prostatectomy all seems a bit scary. Hoping maybe anyone can help with sharing their experiences of surgery and the dreaded side effects, especially being incontinent and erectile dysfunction. 
Thanks for reading x

• So sorry you lost a friend recently, cancer is  so cruel.

Are we wrong to believe that prostate cancer can be cured if caught early on? This is one of the main reasons my husband opted for surgery as best chance of actually removing all the affected area. I know there is still a risk of leaving some cancer cells which could spread but “if” all was successfully removed surely it would be classed as cured as apposed to in remission? 

• Treatment has a much better chance of success if caught early on, but as you have said, whatever treatment you choose, there is always a risk that some cancer cells remain, so I don't think you can class it as a cure.  As a consultant friend told me, if there was a cure there wouldn't be so many treatments.

But don't dwell on it, you've made your informed decision for all the right reasons.  It is an awful decision to make as unfortunately there is no definite 'right one'.  The thing is to now be positive and move forward.  I cannot stress enough to have a positive frame of mind and remember its been caught early. So let's end this with a positive story.

I made a friend on this forum about 18 months ago as we had similar diagnoses and were both investigating alternatives. He went for a full prostatectomy and I had brachy, he's now running half marathons and I'm going on a 700 mile walk crossing the Pyrenees to the west coast of Spain.

• I love a positive story, thanks for sharing and wishing you the best of luck with your challenging walk x

• Hi all, 

so my husband had the prostatectomy on Monday this week, discharged on Tuesday afternoon! I thought that seemed a bit quick? Anyway after two days I wasn’t happy with the amount of blood appearing in his catheter, we expected some obviously but seemed to be getting darker and more of it. After quite a few attempts spoke to hospital who asked me to take him back for check up. He was admitted on Thursday evening, had bladder flushed which helped clear a few clots. His blood levels were low and after a CT scan they found he had a small hematoma. After restful few days his catheter is looking clear again, bit of a temperature so may have a slight infection so pumping antibiotics into him. He’s still in hospital but hopefully coming out tomorrow, fingers crossed. Of course with covid still around they won’t even let you visit so been emotional times. 
    One consolation is he’s come on leaps and bounds with recovery since being cared for in hospital and even got appetite back. Catheter due to come out this Thursday x

• From what I have read on here, this is not unusual and you certainly made the right call getting him back into hospital. Clearly a very stressful time for you both, but it sounds like he is now on the right road to recovery. It will just take a bit of time. All the very best to you both x

• I had the da Vinci five years ago. I have no prolem with incontinence apart from a very occasional small leak. The little blue pills help with the ED.

Good luck.

• I have locally advanced high risk prostate cancer, so in my case a no brainer - radiotheoropy and hormones. Several friends however have ‘localised’ and have had a prostectomy with the associated impact on their erectile function. A couple of them use injections to induce erections. Amazingly they say it does not hurt as apparently only the outer layer of skin on the shaft has sensitivity!

• Jemboy,

You are a braver Man than I, just the thought of the injections puts shivers down my spine.

I'm still going through "nothing at all happening down there", thanks to the Hormones.

Steve (SteveCam)

• Hi Dennis, apologies I missed your comment. Always nice to hear some positive news. My husband is making really good progress now. 
    Take care 

Sam x