My Dad's Symptoms

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hello everyone - just new to this site today!  My dad is almost 82 and was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer which has spread to his liver.  He will not be going through any treatment so its just a case of making him comfortable from here on in.  He is generally in good spirits but we have noticed some changes lately.  He is suffering with severe leg pain.  He was prescribed Oramorph and has come out in a strange rash and sore gums - has anyone else experienced this?  We are just waiting on the nurse to come out to him now. I'm sure others have experienced the same as us with more elderly parents - the stiff upper lip generation who don't complain about anything but just get on with it! He gets very frustrated and its sad to see him decline x

• Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope you got some information from the nurse. My partner never took oramorph  so he did not experience sany side effects. The only rash he had was when he was itching and jaundiced. In my experience its sometimes quite difficult to get all the information you need, especially when health professionals ask if you have any questions in front of the patient who may or may not be up to frank discussions. I found this forum and the macmillan helplines absolutely invaluable with a lot of support and information. I wish you well,

Pam

Love is eternal
  • Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope you have had some good information from the nurse today. My partner didn't take oramorph so I'm not sure of the side effects, the only rash he had was when he was itching and jaundiced. In my experience it can be quite difficult to get answers. Especially when health professionals ask if you have any questions in front of the patient who may or may not be up for frank discussions. This forum and  phonecalls to macmillan  were my lifeline with their support and information. I wish you well, Pam 

Love is eternal
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Needing friends

Thank you Pam.  The nurse did come out but she doesn't think it is a side effect of the Oramorph - just reckons it is just another symptom of his condition.  I have been looking through the forums and there is a lot of information on here xx

• Hi Amjadr

Sorry to read about your dad. I have no experience of Oramorph or the side effects of sore gums or a rash but it is nice to hear he's in good spirits. Us older patients tend to have the stiff upper lip mentality and I am sure you are doing everything to keep him comfortable.

When I was diagnosed with pc I put my faith in the medical professionals and their advice and care plus the invaluable support from this forum helped me through this difficult time

Best wishes to your dad , yourself and your family

kevin