Pancreatic cancer vomiting black or brown.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 13 replies
  • 29 subscribers

Hi, my mom just died of pancreatic cancer. During her last week she had a bit of diarrhea that was black. Also, on her last day she vomited black or dark chocolate and vomited again the same thing just right before she passed. Did someone experience the same thing? Can someone please tell me why it was black? I was giving her enzymes and a green diet that included green smoothies, green tea and organic things that help fight the cancer, but I don't think that the black vomit was because of that.

• Hello mm227, I’m sorry to hear about your Mum, but welcome to the online community. I can’t help with your question, but the support line 0808 808 0000 should be able to help (open Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm) Your recent experience must have your head in a whirl and I hope I’m not being out of place by suggesting you might find the Bereaved family and friends group a place where you can discuss how your feeling, I might be very wrong here and forgive me if I am but sometimes when people pass we search for reasons as part of the greaving process, when really there is nothing to feel guilty about, but our minds go through various emotions. 

I hope you find the answers and peace of mind that you are looking for. 

Best wishes

Take care KT

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Desr mm,

I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. Are you perhaps anxious about what you gave her to eat? I’m sure you don’t need to be and you mum had such a serious illness. Also nobody in here would be qualified to give you an answer to your question. 

It sounds to me as though you loved your mum very much and looked after her tremendously well. 

Pepys xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I was just concerned about the color, but I already found out. It was due to a  gastrointestinal hemorrhage. No wonder she was complaining so much about stomach pain. The pain was excruciating. She suffered for 2 hours, then she died . 

Thank you for your responses.

• Dear mm227

Sorry to read your post. My Mum so wanted to stay at home but we had difficulty with Mum s sickness. My Mum thankfully wasn’t aware as to what was coming up. It started as pale yellow /orange it was getting darker and darker . Her GP was called and said Mum was to be admitted to hospital straight away . We were only in the hospital 10 mins when my Mum started vomiting blood . It was distressing having her admitted but my Dad and me couldn’t have coped on our own with the haemorrhaging. Hours later it started in her lower body. Bloody hideous disease. 

Gilly 

live each day as though it were your last x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. 

My father died on Christmas eve and had similar discharge during his last few hours. 

I'm unsure exactly what it is and assume it was associated with the organs failing? But really have no idea. 

Whatever it was, it's not nice to see. 

M. 

• FormerMember

Hi, i sorry to hear about your mum. My mum has late stage pancreatic cancer and yesterday she too vomitted brown liquid. This is called hematemesis and in my mums case her stomach was bleeding perhaps dut to the cancer spreading into here. It was very distressing, she is in hospital now and very near end of life. If the blood stays in the stomach it will change colour to resemble coffee grounds. Take care and sending my prayers to you 

• FormerMember

Hi all, 

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

I am reading your messages a bit late, so I can see the question is now answered  but I wanted to share my experience with my father who was vomiting blood(brown) before he died too. We were caring for him at home but had access to a doctor 24/7. When bleeding started, I panicked and thought I have done something wrong or have given him too much painkillers and I called the doctor at 4 in the morning! But then felt a bit calmer when dr. explained to me exactly what it was, and that it was expected given the advanced stage of my father's cancer. The doctor told us that it was not good news and not much can be done for him and that it would be entierly our choice to take him to hospital or keep him at home. We chose to keep him at home with family around him.  My father was very alert though and was still talking to us and in control for whole day till about an hour before his blood pressure dropped and he passed away. 

My thoughts are with you all who lost a loved one to this horrible disease. I am sending my prayers and best wishes to those who are under treatment. (I hear lots of happy stories about people who fought it and successfully beat it in the end Tulip )

• I lost my Mum in May to pancreatic cancer which had spread to her liver, lungs and lymph nodes and she vomited a huge amount of black liquid as she was passing. I have been trying to find answers as to what it was since. She had previously been expelling greeny browny gunk which had an awful smell. This had eased though then the morning she died I saw this black liquid start to pour out of her, I grabbed a towel as it was going everywhere and she had passed within seconds but still kept expelling the liquid. It was awful. I wondered if it was the cancer toxins coming out. 
    My poor Mum lived 5 weeks from being told she had cancer. The hospital knew 10 weeks before they told us. We are completely broken without Mum and knowing things may of been different had we known sooner makes us so angry.

• We lost my Mum in May from Bowel Cancer metastases.  She vomited "coffee grounds" twice. The first she insisted it was because she had eaten a choc ice. My sister in law (who works for a care home let me know privately that wasn't the case). She did the same the  day after and knew then herself it was something related to her deterioration. She died later that day.

I'm sorry for your loss. Its a terrible time xx

• I'm going through this now, my husband surpass 2yrs now with 3 lines of chemotherapy. He stopped the chemo 4months ago. He's vomiting brown, black and dark green fluids almost the whole day. We're in emergency right now and I'm trying to understand what's going on with the help of Google, that's why I came to find this forum. It's January 18, 2023 today.