Feeling left out

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 24 subscribers

Hi. 5 weeks ago I found out that my Dad has pancreatic cancer which has spread to liver and  lungs. He has a chest drain because of fluid on his lungs. I live in southern Spain. Obviously, I flew home straight away to see him and spent a week there but I work and have a family here so had to return.

My parents are divorced and my Dad's family are taking amazing care of him but I feel left out. When I call there is always a reason that I can't speak to him...he's asleep or he's had a bad day and is resting or he can't talk as his breathing is bad. I just want to say hi or video call him so he can see his granddaughters. They just say they'll keep me updated.

My Dad has been told there is nothing they can do and has been advised against chemo which he didn't want anyway. Other than that I haven't a clue what to expect, how long we have other than what I can google. 

I'm in bits over here. I can't functionand feel I have no-one to talk to. Only just keeping it together for my family. I feel like I'm waiting for the dreaded phone call and it's torture.

• Hi Sungirl

I am sorry to hear about your Dad. It will be difficult for you living a distance from him but I think that you are right just to keep phoning to see how he is. Unfortunately it’s natural that the people close at hand will be more involved in his care but I’m sure he will want them to tell you how he is getting on.

i am not I need any way medically qualified but what I have discovered is that PC is very unpredictable so any prognosis of time is an average of previous experiences. I found the best way to cope is to take one day at a time and just try to keep going from there. It’s difficult but look after yourself too.

Squeaky