Sjogrens diagnosis and NHL risk.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 16 subscribers

Hi,

I posted on this page earlier in the year while waiting to see a rheumatologist but didn't have a definite Sjogrens diagnosis at that point.  I had surgery and radiotherapy last year for early stage breast cancer. I had been waiting to have further major urology surgery to remove an 8 year old internal reservoir used in place of my bladder and the stoma used to drain it at the end of 2022.  That was brought forward so I had this done along with removal of my bladder and further bowel surgery 4 weeks after the breast surgery.  It was for a benign condition but things haven't been great since then.  Basically to cut a long story short I can't fault the cancer care I had but don't have urology follow up as the surgery could only be done outwith my own NHS area. The Urologist then referred me back to my own area but I've been told it's too complex to be dealt with nearer to home so no-one will take me on.  Partly due to this I've decided to opt out of the NHS as much as possible.  I still have a GP for prescribing purposes but that's about it. I'm now in a bit of a dilemma though.  I saw the rheumatologist privately at the beginning of the year without my GP's knowledge initially.  I've suspected I've had Sjogrens for years and had brought this up with my GP as well as an ENT Consultant in the past but it fell on deaf ears so was never tested for it.  Unsurprisingly when tested I came back positive for it.  Initially the Consultant thought I was at very low risk of developing lymphoma (Sjogrens can increase the risk of this.) but when they reviewed my risk score it turns out I have a 39.9% of developing lymphoma at some point.  I don't know whether I'm going to have to arrange some type of annual review privately with a rheumatologist in future.  I believe there's no routine lymphoma screening with this diagnosis.  Are there any members that post in the forum who have developed NHL due to Sjogrens?

Morvern

• I believe there's no routine lymphoma screening with this diagnosis.

I don't have Sjogrens but I'm in remission from NHL and there is no screening test available for lymphoma.

Are you having regular surveillance scans as a follow up to your breast cancer treatment?  If so, they might be useful for detecting asymptomatic lymphoma (my surveillance scans for lymphoma were head to pelvis - I'm not sure what areas are covered in surveillance scans following breast cancer).

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lolie

Hi Lolie,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm glad you're in remission.

A yearly mammogram is the usual screening for early stage breast cancer, so no full body scans.

Morvern

• I had a quick look at the research and your consultant seems to have used a standard risk algorithm, which is a good thing. 

It would certainly be reasonable to ask that they review your risk factors periodically, although keep in mind that even in people who have all 7 risk factors and 100% probability of developing lymphoma, there is still nothing which can be done prior to it developing.

• Hi  and a second welcome to this corner of the community. I am Mike and I help out around out various Lymphoma groups.

I see my friend  has been up early this morning ;)....... like Lolie I also don't have Sjogrens and yes there is a link between having Sjoren's and developing MALT Lymphoma (also known as extranodal marginal zone lymphoma)...... this is a slow growing type of Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma so 'if' you were in the future to be be diagnosed then there are lots of treatment available for you.

There is no Lymphoma Screening program as the main Diagnosis of Lymphoma is done through biopsy and scans but these would only be done if a person was showing Common symptoms of lymphoma.

Once I was diagnosed with my rare type of Low Grade NHL (I only had a small developing rash on my back) I had yearly CT scans and these showed nothing wrong for the first 14 years and I have never had a blood test that would point to my Lymphoma, I am now over 7 years in remission but my type of NHL is incurable so it is basically sleeping....... but i am getting on with life and not letting the 'what if's' define my life.

If thing you concentratie with getting on with life and 'if' any of the common Lymphoma symptoms appear get checked out.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lolie

Thanks for your reply Lolie.  I may decide to speak to my GP about it.

Morvern

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thanks for your reply.  I'm glad you're still in remission.  I am trying to get on with life.  It's not the cancer diagnosis or risk of future cancers that stops me doing things.  I've had urology complications which have been difficult to deal with.

Morvern

•  I have a Primary Immunodeficiency which also can cause lymphoma which I then managed to get. I had no regular screening for it, just biopsies and scans when something appeared.  Hopefully you will never get lymphoma but if you do the treatments are getting better and better so if your time comes there will be better drugs for you.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Londoner12

Thanks for your reply.  I hope treatment is working for you.

• Hi there, was just scrolling thru here to see if anyone else had MALT NHL low grade as well as having Sjögren’s syndrome, which I have had for last 10 years. I was diagnosed in Feb 2023 with lymphoma of the left parotid gland and had treatment in May, eight doses of Rituximab over 8 weeks. I’m now in monitoring stage for two years, first monitoring appt last Nov I was clear and my next appt is Feb. I too was told there is a likelihood MALT was because I had SS. I’m hoping that I’m not diagnosed again and if it returns, not for a while. I know it’s treatable but it is not curable. I did have some lumps removed in Jan 2023 and that is when my surgeon was not happy with the surrounding tissue and referred me to a haematologist, who diagnosed me with MALT, very happy that it was found and treatment given.