New to this group, have recently been diagnosed with Myeloma

• 1 reply
  • 47 subscribers

Hi I have recently been diagnosed with Myeloma, I was getting investigation for peripheral neuropathy which I have had for many years without a real diagnosis when the consultant decided to order a full blood screen, he told me that there were some unusual results & referred me to Haematology which after a battery of test from Bone marrow biopsy to echocardiograms came up with the diagnosis of Myeloma, I am under a bi-monthly blood test & consultation regime at the moment so not having any treatment currently however the consultant did say that they were considering options, I am 72 and despite having BPH I am in reasonable health although overweight, the neuropathy curtails exercise as my feet swell (not smell) with even light walking and get terrible cramps in my legs and feet afterwards, I feel generally positive and am definitely a glass half full or more like when am I getting a refill type of guy. I spent 22 years in the RAF and another 22 years working for GE healthcare as an engineer working on anaesthesia & monitoring equipment. yes I do get the odd blue moment and the why me but having a severely disabled daughter who has had several strokes and bowel cancel that doesn't last long and I thank God for a reasonably long and healthy life, I feel that a positive attitude is a large part of being able to face this latest challenge which I nay not win but it won't win easily.

• Hi JenksB,

Welcome to the forum although I am very sorry for the reason that you had to post. I think a positive mindset is really helpful and there are lots of reasons to be positive with myeloma treatments having come on significantly over the past few years. I am glad that you are on a watch and wait regime at the moment and long may that continue. Myeloma can sometimes be slow developing and I very much hope that this is what your experience will be.

Please keep us updated as to how you get along and please reach out for any questions, advice or support, there is lots of experience of Myeloma on this site.

Wishing you all the best

Greg