Mesotheliomja

• 6 replies
  • 10 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed in June 2019 at the age of 68.  He had never been ill in his life so it was a complete shock.  He had six rounds of chemo which he found very difficult.  But we then had six months of "the new normal" life.  In June 2019 he had disease progression and was offered the chance to go on the Confirm trial which was the only way of getting immunotherapy on the NHS at that time.  The trial was randomised 2:1 but he seemed to do really well and his consultant was sure he was on the drug.  Unfortunately the first week of the lockdown in 2020 we were told he was off the trial.  Initially we blamed Covid but when we pursued the private route we had to unblind the trial and were told that he had been on the placebo.  Just before we started paying NICE agreed to finance immunotherapy on the NHS, so he had 7 months of Nivolumab.  We have just been told that they don't think it is working so he cannot have any more.  He is suffering pain at night as the cancer has attached to his ribs and he is about to have some radiotheraphy to try to help this.  Hopefully it will because he is finding sleep difficult.  He now has to decide whether to have more chemo.  He always said he wouldn't but the consultant said he thought he had responded well.  He has never wanted to know his prognosis.  Obviously I want him to have the treatment if it gives him more time but not if the time he has left is going to be ruined by the side effects.  So difficult to know what to do.

• Hi

This must be an incredibly hard time for you and your husband right now having to decide whether to have more chemotherapy.

I can't offer any experience but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. However, I can see that you also posted in the ask a nurse section of the online community and that you've had a great reply from Audrey. If you haven't seen her response yet clicking here will take you straight to it.

Do come back and let us know what your husband decides to do.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Jayne

I have not been on this forum for a few months,  so just by chance I seen your post.   I also have been on Nivolumab for a few months and been told its not helping and therefore stopped as doctor says it can cause other problems.  Also having discomfort in ribs like a stitch in my side.  Doctor told me take paracetamol.   , and had one radiotheraphy treatment, which did nothing at all.   Doctor is now trying to get funding for my next treatment which he says would be a trial drug.( Must say I dont understand about this funding thing).   I personally would take more chemo if offered but Doctor says the cells reconize the chemo and fight it.., but as yet I'm not in pain as such,  and I still have hope, one day at a time..  .  so I would say give the chemo a try;

• Hi Jayne,

Just read your post and wondered what treatment options you have now ? 

we are just at the beginning of diagnosis 

• Hi

The radiotherapy did help with the pain and after having the summer "off" he decided to have a go with the chemotherapy.  It was oral, taken at home and for the first couple of weeks he seemed to do well and had few side effects.  Then suddenly he went downhill and by the time he ended up in hospital a couple of weeks later he was in a wheelchair.  They eventually found out that the chemo had caused a blood clot in the good lung.  They put him on blood thinners which gradually started to help but he was still really struggling with breathlessness and a horrible cough which was keeping us both awake all night.  We ended up back in the hospital where they put him on steroids and the cough disappeared overnight.  He has much more energy and is eating loads.  He also had a pint of fluid taken off the good lung which has helped the breathlessness.  We are really hoping the fluid doesn't continue to build up as he spent two years with a Plurex drain in the other lung which I had to deal with three times a week.  The chemo was discontinued and there are no more options for treatment atm.  He is on a load of drugs including Morphine which are giving him a reasonable quality of life so we have to be grateful for that.  Just have to hope it continues for a while.    Good luck to you. 

• Thank you for replying Jayne, it sounds like you have/are having  a tough time…. My husband looks well, his biopsies were taken yesterday so he is sore, just waiting for the “phone call” all the doctors just seem so negative.  It is very stressful, I can’t imagine how you are coping.  He had pneumonia a year ago and recovered. Then in nov his lung filled up and had to be drained. His lung has significant  pleural thickening, so quite anxious.  All the best to you & you need to try to look after yourself too ….

• It is mentally and physically exhausting and such a roller coaster of emotions.  This last year there have been at least three times when it looked like the end was nigh and then he has recovered.  But he has exceeded expectations so we are grateful for that.  Just got to take one day at a time.  You take care too.