New diagnosis

• 2 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hello

5 years ago I had a IIa melanoma excised from my back, clear margins and all the check ups made me feel I had a lucky escape.

UNTIL

this May, I had a panproctocolectomy….all my colon, rectum and anus removed due to unresolved Ulcerative Colitis. Now the proud owner of a stoma.

UNTIL

the surgeon found some mystery lumps on my small intestine 

And they turned out to be melanoma metastes.

One MRI and PET scan later, I have metastes in my lung and neck lymph as well as in the abdomen.

Im BRAF positive so started on the Dab Traf route with, so far no side effects apart from tiredness, but then I’m only 3 months post op for huge abdominal surgery.

My oncology team are wonderful and I’m trying to be positive…getting on with life and not being defined by cancer. But some days…. I am so scared 

• Hi Babylonia, 

As an advanced melanoma survivor I wanted to send you words of encouragement, but instead I find myself moved and encouraged as I read of your journey and the recent hardships that have brought you to this point. You are obviously brave, strong and a fighter to have overcome so much adversity and to now face this new journey with the positivity expressed in your post. My only comment would be to "trust the process" and stay positive. Fear is natural. Melanoma is becoming more treatable every day with more and more success stories. Sending you positive thoughts and prayers.

Dave

• Thank you Dave, I’m mostly positive and then terrified….I’m due my first post diagnosis PET and MRI early next month and it’s unsettling.

however on the plus side…..I’m on the beautiful island of Kefalonia for the rest of September!